Newbie Introduction

fatdoctor
on 5/21/13 6:04 pm
I'm a family physician with a BMI of 56. I feel my obesity is unprofessional as well as unhealthy. I'm a mom who can't play with her little kids. Just made decision to have RNY 3 weeks ago. Met surgeon this week. Probably having surgery in mid-July (self pay---my ins won't cover despite 5 comorbidities).

Just want to thank you all here at OH. I've been learning and lurking for months, thought I'd finally say hello.
aweis
on 5/21/13 6:42 pm

Welcome !

jensieck76
on 5/21/13 7:40 pm - TX
Welcome!! Im a week out best thing I have ever done for my health!!

For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength. Phillipians 4:13 laugh

CW 190!!! GW Anything under 200 was the icing on the cake...going for 170...lil more icing never hurt anybody!

TomN
on 5/21/13 8:47 pm
RNY on 12/27/12 with
Wishing you only the best! This is a great group and one I check on a couple times a day to keep me grounded.

dahoodman
on 5/21/13 8:49 pm, edited 5/21/13 8:50 pm - VA
RNY on 03/26/13

Congrats on your decision. It is a shame about insurance not covering this surgery. I had my surgery 8 weeks ago and I feel great. I am down right around 45 pounds now. It has been the best decision I have made. I was very worried before the surgery and just after that this could potentially be my worst decision, but those worries have gone away. This forum is a great place to search for answers and if you can't find it using the search tool then you can always ask the questions.

Before surgery I found it best to try and stay away from posts about complications/issues and try to read the positive ones. Also, when you look at the posts, reading through profiles and blogs of "vets" (those that are years out) and seeing their challenges and how they overcame them is a really helpful thing to do. It gives you some POSITIVE insight as to what this surgery can do for you. You can look at profiles of people that were at/near your starting point and see their progression. It's not always great to compare your progress with others since everyone is different, but you can probably get a general idea. If you compared your progress to someone who started at a BMI of 35 instead of close to 56, your paths could likely be dramatically different. However, you could still gain some insights from those people in how they dealt with any challenges.

Welcome!

paul

[Highest: 303] [Surgery Day: 295] [Current: 199.8] [Goal: 180][To Go: 19.8[Height: 5' 8"]

I have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve   

I have a history of losing my shirt Barenaked Ladies - One Week

ShadowHR
on 5/21/13 9:01 pm - WI
RNY on 04/04/13

Congrats on your decision to have RYN surgery.  This is a great website/resource and I look forward to following your journey.

susan

Surgery Weight 245

nurl
on 5/21/13 9:34 pm
RNY on 05/14/13
Welcome this site is a great resource and provides wonderful support

shannonigan
on 5/21/13 10:15 pm - Tooele, UT
RNY on 04/30/13
Welcome Wishing you much success!

VintageChick
on 5/21/13 10:21 pm
I am a nurse (there are many of us here) with a BMI of 56.5. I agree, working in healthcare as a morbidly obese person is difficult. How can we expect to be taken serious when trying to help others become healthy if we can't even help our own selves to be healthy.

I respectfully disagree with the post about only reading the positive side. Going into this fully informed is the only way to go. Complications happen - and I'm proof.

Good luck!
Tiggybeep
on 5/22/13 1:52 am
RNY on 04/02/13 with

Welcome!  Glad to have you here.  Sucks about your insurance, but good for you for self-paying.  I had to as well, best money spent in a long time.  Good luck on your journey - keep us posted!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 447 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 456 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 401 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 112 views
Forum Search Error & 404