Spitting out stitches?

kikidoll
on 5/24/13 6:20 am - MA
RNY on 03/20/13
Hi all,

I think one of my incisions is trying to spit out a stitch but I'm not sure. When I rub my finger over it I can feel a little bump, maybe the size of a pinhead. I can also see a dark spot there. I heard this can happen, but I'm still a little worried for some reason. Is there anything I can do to make sure this doesn't get infected or anything like that? How long does it usually take to pu****self out?

Age: 26  Height: 5'11  Highest Weight: 278  Goal: 160  Surgeon: Dr. Rebecca Shore

Mrs_Stimpy
on 5/24/13 7:55 am
RNY on 12/20/12

That happened to me too.  My surgeon says sometimes it happens.  He just cut off the part that was sticking out.  Normally they just dissolve and you don't have to worry about them.  The little hole where it stuck out healed up just fine.

Good luck to all of us on our journeys! 

Highest - 222 / Pre-Surgery - 215 / Goal 150

JUSTJUNQUIES
on 5/24/13 9:10 am - Citrus Heights, CA
RNY on 04/04/12

It happened to me after a TT AND after hip replacement ,but not from RNY. I believe it is quit normal , if you are worried you can always call your doc.

If it become swollen , red, hot , definitely call your doc, but over all nothing to worry about.

Donna Q. --5'8" -60 years old
Band 2005
hw320 sw276 lw with band 195 gw 160-180? 
Bypass 4/4/2012
pre sw 258 lw RNY 162 cw 203

baepage
on 5/24/13 9:51 am - MA
RNY on 04/22/13

This is really weird that you posted this.  This morning as I was getting in the shower I noticed little white threads coming out of 2 of my incisions, nothing hurts, and I figured maybe this was normal.  I was actually going to post on her about my problem.  Just very weird to log on this site and see your question.

Hollyanimal
on 5/24/13 11:49 am - WI
My husband had a couple of strings hanging out too. The surgeon clipped them off during a visit.
LosingSally
on 5/25/13 1:53 pm

It's been 6 years since my TT with muscle repair, and I just spit 2 titanium surgical clips last summer, and then a permenant stitch in January from the plastics.

If your body is sensitive to the materials, ( usually not to titanium) you may spit stiches the rst of your life since it may take a while to bring them to the surface. The surgical clips were very tiny and used to clip little bleeders during surgery as a faster way to deal with them. The stitch  ended up causing a granuloma, ( a pocket surrounding the stitch) and had to be cut out.

If I had one very near the surface, I would put hot compresses on it several times a day. This may help it rise to the surface faster.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 540 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 413 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 277 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics