feeling discouraged

Mph05mph06
on 5/22/13 5:52 pm

I am going on day for of my two week liquid diet.  I am starting to realize how much of an addiciton food has become to me.  I am sorta freaking out inside at all the foods i will miss.  Not only that i have been coming on the boards to recieve encouragement, and right now all i seem to notice is complications.  I am having this surgery to avoid complications later, not create them for myself.  I am starting to get that i can do this myself atitude. I know i cant.  i am letting my fear start to creep in.  What if i regret it. 25% of me wants to back out.  the rest of me says that i can do it.  I dont know what to do.  All i know is that this diet is messing with my head.  i just want to screem.. I am so tired hungry and DIZZY... i work 12 hour shifts as a nurses aide and without the calories i am very light headed. i am just losing my way...  :(

JJ_
on 5/22/13 6:36 pm
Hang in there! I did 3 weeks of a liquid diet pre-op. You may need to be off of work pre-surgery if your diet is causing problems with your ability to perform. Call the nutritionist at your surgeon's office for help. Good luck.
VintageChick
on 5/22/13 7:24 pm
You can do this.

Yes, complications happen - don't bury your head in the sand, but realize they don't happen for most people. If they do, then you do it one day at a time. I am. You are fully aware they can happen, and that's what matters.

As I got very close to surgery I started skipping the regrets and complications threads and concentrated on the positive posts. There are a lot of those on here as well. If you really want this surgery, and are committed to it, you may need to do that, too.
Mph05mph06
on 5/22/13 8:01 pm

THANK YOU :)  I had a shake and some powerade zero... my shift is almost over and im not feeling as dizzy.  I appreciate the encouragment!!!! :) 

AlohaJen
on 5/22/13 9:16 pm
RNY on 09/05/12

I was the same way too.... ask some of the VETS on here for some positive reinforcement.... and avoid the negative stuff.... you can find that everywhere and your experience will not be like anyone else's.... I assure you, the journey is worth every bit of skepticism that you are feeling.... I never thought I would live thru my 2 week liquid diet, but I did.... and now I am almost 9 months post op..... you are strong and YOU can do this.... just take it "1" hour, "1" day at a time..... YOU can do it..... 

HW 304   SW 258  CW 199  GW  160?

AnchorsAweigh
on 5/22/13 9:54 pm

Six weeks ago I felt the exact same way. Then one of the vets posted that the majority of the people who have this surgery do just fine with no complications. The majority simply doesn't post about it. They also explained that while you are changing your lifestyle, you don't have to say that you will never again have this or that to eat. Most likely you will be able to have it--just smaller amounts and only once in a while. Anyway, despite all my fears, my surgery was textbook perfect, I have been able to tolerate any food and have not been sick and overall I feel pretty good and enjoy losing weight. Oh, and the liquid diet--it really does get easier! Good luck to you.

Sarah R.
on 5/22/13 11:50 pm

Other than losing a little on the slow side I have had zero complications. Yep it can be difficult but its worth it. I havent regretted my surgery even a second since I made the decision to have it.

Larry Wassmann
on 5/23/13 12:13 am - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12

I am over a year out. Never sick, no pain ever, can eat almost a normal diet (small amounts but fine with me), no complications at all. I have lost over 145 pounds, off all diebetes meds, blood presure is normal. I am living like a man 20 years younger than my real age. NOT ALL OF US HAVE PROBLEMS. You just hear about them more on a page like this. No matter what kind of a web page on a subject is. IE cars, vacations, or what ever there are mostly posts about problems. You can do this, my daughter just had surgery and had to do the pre-diet she had the same fears as you but now almost a month out she is doing just fine and you CAN DO THIS and a year from now you will be as happy as I am.

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

Washu
on 5/23/13 12:40 am

I know you're hearing this a lot. I had the same fears because I really love food, I love cooking it, I love trying new things with my family, I love all of it. I have my weak moments where I miss having a giant plate of food. I'm 2 weeks since my surgery and four weeks since my last large meal. I am just now not feeling the old pangs of wanting to stuff my face. I don't miss how I would feel for several hours after overfilling myself. I don't miss any of those crappy feelings. I am still on stage III full liquids with some pureed chili in the mix. I miss variety. I know I will still be able to eat delicious foods one day, it will just be a lot less of them, and different choices that will work for my new tummy. 

I find looking passed today helps. Look at where you are heading, and all of the new and wonderful possibilities before you that you don't have now or are limited from by your current weight. You can still love food and be okay. You will find different favorites along the way and you WILL find more energy during the healing process. We have to exercise. Exercising will produce more energy for you when you can do it and so many new options will open to you. 

All of those foods you are worried you will miss, they will still be around. No one is eliminating them from the earth, no urgency, they will still be around to taste one day. Hang in there and make sure you accommodate yourself at work if the energy level is dangerous for you. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com  HW 275 SW 253 CW 155 - 5'2" Age 35 RNY 5/10/13

Sarahakers11
on 5/23/13 3:44 am - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with

I could have written this myself. Literally I am day four also and having the EXACT same thought and feelings.  I think its normal.  My date is June 4th.  Hang in there.   We are all here to support eachother!

HW - 297  start of Pre-op - 290.2   SW- 279.2   GW - 145    

The Depressed Hiker Blog

A middle aged over the hump and over what "I'm suppose to do" woman, with the wild spirit and a nasty case of depression and anxiety!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 474 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 434 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 433 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 371 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 103 views
Forum Search Error & 404