Starting to think my body is against exercising!?!

Missy A.
on 5/23/13 2:28 pm - NC
RNY on 08/17/12

As the old saying goes, "If its not one thing, it's another"! First, I had trouble exercising due to extreme fatigue. Still having fatigue, but not as severely. Then my back was giving me problems. Found out that I have to slipped vertebrae and need surgery. Had an injection last week and the pain has subsided a good bit. Now I have to see the Ortho for problems with my left knee. I know I have arthritis in the knee, but while at the beach this past week, I started having severe pain when I would apply pressure. Tried walking around the lake and it just about killed me. My PCP said she can feel some "clicking" in the knee. She said it seems like there can be several things wrong with the knee. She's thinking a partial tear in a ligament and of course arthritis. She didn't say what she thought the "clicking" is so I'm at a with that. Any ideas? But until I see the Ortho on Tues. I can't do any pressure bearing exercise, which means no walking or jogging, of course. She did say I could do the recumbent bike if it doesn't hurt my knee, but I tried it this evening and after about 5 minutes, it started hurting. So like I said, I don't think my body wants to exercise! 

Any thoughts, suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

Missy

HW:348 Consult W:320 SW:295 Current W:156 GW:140

Jerwelch
on 5/23/13 5:47 pm - Grand Haven, MI
WOW if it's not one thing it's another for you. Hang in there. What about the pool? It should be ok on the knees.
Good luck.

Jerry

PetHairMagnet
on 5/23/13 8:17 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

SWIM and lift weights. You can do an upper body workout with weights and you can swim for your whole body. I have a relative with SEVERE arthritis, but she can still do swim based exercises.

I have torn my MCL on one and my ACL on the other knee and even with those injuries, I was able to exercise to a degree, so don't let knee pain stop you. You might want to work with a physical therapist to develop an exercise plan once you have seen the orthopedist.

JJ_
on 5/23/13 8:29 pm

Check out some on-line chair exercises (They are targetted for people that cannot stand or walk).

Mary Catherine
on 5/24/13 1:56 am

I would suggest investing in a good water shoe, mine are New Balance and cost about 80.00. Wear them and just walk in the pool and/or do water aerobics classes.   The water makes exercise much easier on your body and the water shoes support and keep your knee from hurting.  Both do wonders for my knees.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 508 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 420 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 221 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?