Meloxicam IS AN NSAID!

Missy A.
on 5/24/13 10:17 am - NC
RNY on 08/17/12

The FNP that saw me yesterday in place of my PCP gave me Meloxicam for my knee pain. I explained to her that I couldn't take NSAIDs due to the gastric bypass surgery and she said she checked and this one is ok to take, I have searched everything I can about this med and I can't see how it is different than other NSAIDs. 

Has anyone used this or would you use it if they gave it to you? It comes with the same side effect warnings as other NSAIDs. I'm just confused as to why she would think it is different and give it to me! blush

Missy

HW:348 Consult W:320 SW:295 Current W:156 GW:140

LadyLilMax
on 5/24/13 10:58 am - Retirement Ville, AZ

I would not take it  if  your research indicates it is NSAIDS.  Call your PCP and ask him about it, and possibly your surgeon?  

I can see why you are confused.  My PCP tried the same thing.  Some of them just do not get the whole we cannot take the NSAIDS thing. 

RNY 12/11/12  HW:230   SW:220   GW:140   CW:130  5ft 1

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/24/13 11:26 am, edited 5/24/13 11:42 am - OH

Some of them are not supposed to be quite as hard on the stomach as others (I know Celebrex is one that they often choose to give when there is a concern about ulcers), but they are all potentially problematic for us.  It is one thing to NEED to take an NSAID when nothing else will suffice, but there are other things you can do for knee pain (like cortisone shots... Which is what I have been doing for me knees since my RNY).

Only you can decide whether the reduction in inflammation is worth the risk of an ulcer in your blind remnant stomach. Personally  I got much more relief from the shots combined with Tramadol than I got with NSAIDs.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 5/24/13 11:37 am - OH

I don't know why she would think it was different than other NSAIDS.  Why not ask her?  She is really the only one that knows what she is thinking.

Personally, I would not be comfortable taking it.  What are you planning to do?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Missy A.
on 5/24/13 1:39 pm - NC
RNY on 08/17/12

Since I see the Ortho on Tues. I'm just going to ice it and take it easy the next few days. I've decided not to take the Meloxicam. I'm definitely going to mention to my PCP about the FNP thinking that it was safe for us. My PCP is very knowledgeable about WLS and I don't think she would agree with giving me this, especially since I specifically mentioned no NSAIDs. 

Missy

HW:348 Consult W:320 SW:295 Current W:156 GW:140

Jerwelch
on 5/25/13 9:24 pm - Grand Haven, MI

I hope you get it worked out. What is NSAID? 

Jerry

PetHairMagnet
on 5/27/13 6:58 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On May 26, 2013 at 4:24 AM Pacific Time, Jerwelch wrote:

I hope you get it worked out. What is NSAID? 

Non Steriodal Anti Inflammatory Drug

Jerwelch
on 5/27/13 6:59 am - Grand Haven, MI
Thank you

Jerry

PetHairMagnet
on 5/27/13 6:57 am
RNY on 05/13/13

My husband has been on Meloxicam for years and is post-op since Oct. I have encouraged him to stop taking it and find something else for his shoulder pain.

KateJoeMama
on 5/27/13 7:24 am

Yep, it is an NSAID.  I've had both knees replaced and shoulder surgery and used Meloxicam for years.  I was upset that I couldn't use it post-op, but my doctor said I would probably lose enough weight that I wouldn't need to use it.  I can use neurontin, tylenol, and topical lidocaine.  If I am having a really bad time with it, I can take tylenol 3.  It has worked pretty well so far.

Good luck!

KateJoeMama

HW 246.2,CW 231.1

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 76 replies · 772 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 384 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 502 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 32 replies · 251 views