dumping or not dumping?

daniaj
on 5/25/13 2:35 am - OR

I'm three months out from surgery and whether it is normal or not, have been extremely sensitive when I eat, especially the very few occasions I've eaten out (good choices). I have not even attempted to eat grain products (bread or other) or fruit yet. I do fine with chopped veggies and plain chicken/shrimp/ground beef. I'll get sick (vomiting) about twice a week on a normal basis. However, I'm on a road trip now and yesterday tried to eat a McD grilled chicken southwest salad for lunch (5-6 bites of chicken, nothing else or dressing...had to pull the car over) and went to Red Robin for a grilled chicken salad for dinner (5-6 bites of chicken, a couple of bites of avocado, nothing else and was ill in the bathroom). I do not drink with meals.

I don't eat sauces (BBQ was a horrid experience once) but I'm fearful the very small amount of marinade or who knows what on chicken is causing me to maybe dump? All I know is my mouth starts to flood with saliva and know I'll be ill quickly. I also, TMI, see apparently I've swallowed a lot of saliva or my body has drawn in fluids to my stomach.

I guess what I'm asking is if this is normal for anyone else at three months? I really hope this regular vomiting thing is short lived as I very rarely vomited prior to surgery.

RNY 02/14/13 - HW 268 - SW 252 - CW 146 - GW 140 - 5' 9"

DoryAnne2
on 5/25/13 2:43 am
RNY on 04/01/13

I had my surgery 8 weeks ago, but have only vomited once, although I have had periods of that excess saliva where I thought I would but then didn't.  I think one of the problems may be with the moisture level.  I was advised to only eat moist foods, and if I have chicken that's drier, I feel ill almost immediately.  I usually mix some mayo with it to make it moist, just like ketchup with chopped meat.  I think it's a "hit and miss" thing where we have to experiment with different foods.  The friends I know who have been living with RNY say the only time they get sick now is if they're out and forget and eat too quickly or don't chew enough.  Good luck. 

mussit64
on 5/25/13 2:59 am - Panama City , FL
RNY on 04/18/13

I, myself do not have problem with chicken and I am 5 weeks post-op but my cousin had her gastric in 2004 and to this day she can't eat chicken she does the same thing.    I would give chicken up for a little bit then try it again.. 

Kat Kat
on 5/25/13 3:20 am - AZ
Chicken for many post-ops can be very difficult in the beginning, which I suspect is really your issue. Back off it for a while and try it again a little further down the road.

Kat

TXKashmir
on 5/25/13 3:21 am - Grand Prairie, TX

I agree with the others. This does not sound like dumping to me, it just sounds like chicken may be too hard on your system. If you try it again, make sure it is very, very moist - you may want to stick to the dark meat. Keep trying it periodically, as there may come a time when you can enjoy it again. Good luck!

Debbie
Keeping track of my progress without a scale...Starting size: 28-Current size: 6-Goal size: 14

sand SAND...it's not a club...it's a frame of mind...

MrsLitch
on 5/25/13 4:10 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
Sounds like foamies. Probably the chicken was too dry, white meat often is. Foamies also happened to me if bites were too big, not chewed well enough or if I ate too fast.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Athlynne
on 5/25/13 5:59 am

AGH, the foamies, how I loathe them. I tolerate chicken pretty well, so I guess it really depends on the person.

"I'm pleasant, but I have issues." - MST3K

Start weight: 290 lbs.
Current weight: 205 lbs.

Surgery date: April 15, 2013

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/25/13 8:16 am - OH

Definitely NOT dumping.  The saliva thing you mention is refereed to as "foamies".  Many people have trouble with chicken for some reason.  Give up of chicken for a while and go back to it a month down the road.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

honestlinzel
on 5/25/13 3:41 pm - CA

I am also on the no chicken island! Just try it again in a few months.

RNY Surgery was on 4/12/2013. Now currently on the Never hungry ever bench

Starting weight: 320lbs

Current Weight:  203lbs

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 530 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 462 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 343 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 176 views