Constipation and other related issues causing me pain. Help!

Sara O.
on 5/26/13 2:49 am - NC
RNY on 03/12/12

I'm 14 months postop and still battling constipation/hard stools and the pain that comes with it. I recently started taking a fiber supplement(capsules) to make me more regular and for awhile I've been taking stool softener(capsule form as well) and I am not really seeing a difference. Can I take a laxative? I'm in a lot of pain right now from forcing a bowel movement this morning. Sitting in church for an hour was torture today. Please help!

emt_amy
on 5/26/13 2:53 am - MN
try mirilax, or senna minus the laxative. if you take laxatives you run the chance of becoming dependent on them to even be able to go. ive had to take double doses of mirilax twice a day for a while.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 5/26/13 2:54 am
I was prone to this issue even before surgery, so I take Miralax (the generic version) every day. It isn't habit forming and can be added to most any beverage.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

molly3613
on 5/26/13 3:17 am - TX
RNY on 01/24/13
I got some Smooth Move Tea and boy did that work. The dietitian checked it out before I left the hospital and said it would be great. It is senna. A herbal. And it worked for me. Be sure you can stay home for a few hours after drinking it. I ordered it online from amazon...don't know where else to get it but I am sure it is available in many places.

Laura in Texas
on 5/26/13 3:32 am

What iron are you taking? I know some kinds can lead to constipation.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

poet_kelly
on 5/26/13 4:09 am - OH

I use Miralax daily and seldom have trouble as long as I use it regularly.  I get it by prescription and my co-pay is very cheap, a lot cheaper than buying it over the counter.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kat Kat
on 5/26/13 4:26 am - AZ

Ever since several months, or so after my RNY  I started having a terrible time with constipation. Now I have what I call my "War Kit" which contains, Miralax (bottled and single packs), Glycerin Suppositories, Nitrile gloves and Gas-X.) . I take 1 to 2 doses separately of Miralax a day mixed with my morning and/or evening beverage depending on how difficult things are. It really is tasteless and can be taken daily with no long term issues. I put the single packets in my travel kit when I have to be away for work. I always found the thought of suppositories gross, but after developing a huge and painful hemorrhoid from straining, and facing a possible surgery if it didn't reduce, I relented and went out to buy some. In the beginning I still held off resorting to  them, but finally out of desperation relinquished. A hour after using one, just like magic I was renewed, and wondered why I allowed myself to suffer for so long. I finally learned to make peace with suppositories and become friends with them. 

I hear that if you have your doctor write a prescription for Miralax, and you have insurance, you can get it a much reduced price because you only need to use your co-pay. 

Kat

NDHM
on 5/26/13 4:59 am
I take benefiber 3 times per day as well as a colace stool softener. I used to take miralax daily until I was able to increase my fiber to 3 times daily. Also, make sure you are getting in AT LEAST 64 oz of water. Thinking of you...it's miserable.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/26/13 5:37 am - OH

Yes, you can take laxatives as an occasional remedy, but, as someone else noted, you don't want to become dependent on them.  How much fat are you getting in your diet?  Often, just adding in some additional fat will significantly help constipation.

Perhaps I am just fortunate, but I eat full fat cheese and some almonds every day, use real butter instead of margarine, and have regular peanut butter about every other day, and I very rarely have a problem with constipation.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

familyatwood
on 5/26/13 7:00 am
My son has Crohnes disease and has taken miralax daily since 2011, per doc's orders. He is down to 1/2 cap daily. As such we always have some on hand. Now we use it as a family when diet alteration alone doesn't work. It has no flavor and mixes well with near anything. Be careful though, it really works and you may want to start with a smaller dose.
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 350 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 386 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 477 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 395 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 95 views
Recent Topics