Please Help...has anyone had gluten intolence after RNY???

WannaSew
on 5/27/13 11:20 am - Dandridge, TN

also posted on revision board

I will try and make this long story short!!!

Had Lapband  placed May 2005...good results...lost 100 lbs...

Moved... started with different surgeon..(major mistake)...Feb. 2011 had port leak ... port replaced, thought we were back in running...NOPE port infected...one year of replacement..infected...removed...wound care...replaced...infected...more time in wound care...getting ready to replace again...changed surgeons again...(finally) she did an EDG found major erosion... after 4 weeks with pic line and antibiotics (mild MRSA...is there such a thing???)....AND LOTS OF MONEY...we finally got it cleared enough to remove band..

Jan 2012.... revised to RNY...they ended up having to convert to Open and removed gull bladder...they then also removed my spleen (it had been enlarged since having Rheumatic Fever as child...) so recovery a little slow just from the get go...also having problems with low blood sugars...

later it seemed that I was having lactose problems so started drinking Almond Milk...still having some digestive issues...16 months later...I have Good days and really bad days...started taking probiotics..(helped some)...but daughter and I have been doing some research and wonder if this is from gluten intolerance...

So that is most of the facts...i started my Journey at nearly 315...(2005) and now weigh 155-160 and wearing size 12...so I am happy with this part...just really NEED to get this digestion stuff under control...

Thanks in advance for ANY advise...I just feel like I am just taking shots in the dark as to what to do next...final part of story ...I now live in Knoxville TN and at a NEW Doctor (internal Medicine doc) again...I really feel that he is doing everything he knows to do ...have had lots of different test this past year... I need to find a new Bariatric Dr...

Blessings...Debbi

Lapband .. May 2005 .. Starting weight 311.6
Revision surgery Jan 2012 .. RNY .. 231
Currant weight 168

BWB
on 5/27/13 11:25 am

Trying a gluten free diet won't hurt you so why not see if it helps and report back.  Good luck.

poet_kelly
on 5/27/13 11:38 am - OH

I don't know of any reason why RNY would cause gluten intolerance.  If you were gluten intolerant before RNY, then you would still be gluten intolerant after RNY.  But if you weren't gluten intolerant before RNY, having RNY shouldn't cause you to become gluten intolerant.

People often do become lactose intolerant after RNY and there is a specific reason for that.  Our stomachs make an enzyme called lactase that we need to digest lactose and our tiny pouches make a lot less lactase than our bigger stomachs used to make.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

WannaSew
on 5/28/13 2:26 am - Dandridge, TN

Thanks Kelly... I had heard about the Lactose issue and so that didn't surprise me...and I know that when I stay on the Almond milk it seems to digest much better...I still eat yogurt, mostly greek  yogurt ... but as far as large cold glasses of milk...noda...

Besides the yogurts.... I also get plenty of other pro-biotics...also drink "Good Belly" which is a liquid pro biotic...doing all I know to do to help the "gut"

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/27/13 7:48 pm
You may become more gluten sensitive after RNY. But I think it is the massive amounts of antibiotics you body got in last couple of years that may be the problem. You may need a serious daily dose of probiotics - the friendly bacteria - to recolonize your intestaine. And you will need to take that for a while. Trying gluten free diet for time being mash not hurt either. I decided to try gluten free a some time ago and fell much better. I do feel a difference when I eat something with gluten - more gas, more bloathing, overall being tired.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

WannaSew
on 5/28/13 11:43 am - Dandridge, TN

Thanks so much for your reply....I will certainly do some more research into this....I have decided...It certainly can

t hurt...

Blessings...Debbi

Lapband .. May 2005 .. Starting weight 311.6
Revision surgery Jan 2012 .. RNY .. 231
Currant weight 168

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/27/13 8:10 pm
The changes and food intolerance or allergy may also be due to GB removal. Google that.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Angie_K
on 5/27/13 9:47 pm - VA
RNY on 05/22/13
I agree with this. I developed a gluten intolerance after my Gall Bladder removal in 2004.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 488 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 453 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 458 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 45 replies · 416 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 114 views
Forum Search Error & 404