Is a pre-op favorite restaurant tour normal?

fatdoctor
on 6/5/13 7:07 am
My surgery date is July 16. I will be on the liquid diet for two weeks before hand and plan to do a nice 2,000 kcal "clean food" diet starting June 15 so the liquid diet isn't that shocking. I gave up soda in January and am now on day six of no caffeine.

The scale says I am actually losing weight (just a bit), but I'm eating at all of the restaurants I love, almost saying goodbye to dear friends.

Is this normal? I guess I feel guilty because I should be trying to shrink my stomach before the liquid diet, but I'm really enjoying Mexican food, Chinese food, steak, mac & cheese and the portions ain't that small.

Surgery scheduled for July 16, 2013 

twopoundsaweek
on 6/5/13 7:11 am - Wadsworth, OH
RNY on 03/28/13

I had a few "food funerals" saying good bye to some of my old favorite dishes.  I think it is normal and I have heard varying advice that it is good to go do that and also the opposite.  All in all, it isn't unique behavior.

Surgery Date 3/28/13

Follow my story at www.twopoundsaweek.com

HW - 435  SW - 405 CW - 320ish Don't have access to a scale right now.   

angeleigh
on 6/5/13 7:16 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

Lol, eat what you want, till your 2 week diet. That 2 week diet is one of the hardest parts of the whole thing. Once i got my surgery date, i only had a few days till i went on my liquid diet. So I didnt get to eat much of the things I liked. But I was ok with that.

Its normal to feel like you need a last meal from all your favorites that you will not be having again at all of just not for a while.

Just some info, I was doing Mexican food at about 3 weeks post op, beans and cheese, or just taco meat with beans. We dont do rice now, sometimes i make it for family. I do steak a lot, started it at about 4 months post op. Has to be ribeye, and cooked medium and I normally buy the thin ones so they cook quick, and dont get tough. I do mac n cheese, but instead of noodles I use cauliflower. So good.

Things I miss most are: Ice cream (lactose intolerant now), Sweet Tea, Chips, and bread.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

Nickeliz
on 6/5/13 10:06 am - Atlanta, GA
RNY on 06/18/13
I'm scheduled for surgery on June 18 and I'm in the middle of a favorite foods tour. I have about six different places that I would like to hit before my surgery and I am trying to space them out. Interestingly enough, I am eating less than normal when I go because I am trying to really taste the foods that I think might be awhile (if ever) that I can go back to eating normally such as sushi or a poppyseed bagel. I'm not looking to stuff myself, but I know that for a very long time it might not be my choice about what I can or cannot tolerate. I also spend time thinking what is it about these foods that I really like and how could they be adapted to a healthier alternative.
Lee24
on 6/5/13 10:22 am - Canada
RNY on 06/19/13

I think it's totally normal! Try not to go too overboard, but be sure to say your see ya laters to a lot of the things you enjoy. I did the same thing right up until this morning when I started my Liquid Diet. Good luck! : )

Lee

SW 240 GW 150
Ontario, Canada

AnchorsAweigh
on 6/5/13 10:46 am

I had my final doctor's appointment on a Thursday and my two-week pre-op diet was to start on Tuesday--happiest five days of my life! HAHA I ate anything and everything I could during those days. Since it was Easter I also managed an entire great-big chocolate Easter bunny. Well, I must have gained ten pounds in those five days, but I lost it during the pre-op diet so my doctor never even knew. I'm glad I did it and the nice thing is I have no desire to do it again!

PetHairMagnet
on 6/5/13 11:46 am
RNY on 05/13/13

There were two foods that I enjoy that I knew I'd likely never be able to eat again; rare prime rib smothered with cut horseradish (NOT the creamy sauce) and sesame chicken.

So I ate them in the same weekend and yes, they were very good, but I don't miss them at all.

The liquid diet is not that big of a deal. I was on mine 22 days pre-op and so long as you keep liquids and jello at hand for when hunger doe**** you, you'll be just fine!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Grim_Traveller
on 6/5/13 12:10 pm
RNY on 08/21/12
On June 5, 2013 at 6:46 PM Pacific Time, PetHairMagnet wrote:

There were two foods that I enjoy that I knew I'd likely never be able to eat again; rare prime rib smothered with cut horseradish (NOT the creamy sauce) and sesame chicken.

So I ate them in the same weekend and yes, they were very good, but I don't miss them at all.

The liquid diet is not that big of a deal. I was on mine 22 days pre-op and so long as you keep liquids and jello at hand for when hunger doe**** you, you'll be just fine!

I don't do horseradish, but have a nice ribeye twice a week. It's a real staple for me.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

honestlinzel
on 6/5/13 6:52 pm - CA

100% normal. The last month of my surgery, I would allow myself to go out to each once a week to eat my favorite "bad" foods. I think it helped a lot. :)

RNY Surgery was on 4/12/2013. Now currently on the Never hungry ever bench

Starting weight: 320lbs

Current Weight:  203lbs

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 407 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 403 views