what does it feel like to have a stricture?

shannonigan
on 6/5/13 5:01 pm - Tooele, UT
RNY on 04/30/13
Just curious as the last couple of weeks have been a challenge. I have had several incidents of feeling like food isn't getting through to my stomache. It feels like anything that isn't liquid gets stuck in my at the bottom of my throat. I have been extra vigilant about chewing but still am having issues. I have an appointment tomorrow but was hoping to have an idea of what to expect. Thanks

kisersassy
on 6/5/13 5:30 pm - Stanaford, WV
RNY on 10/29/12
I've had two strictures. Food feels stuck and pain and progresses to food and liquids hurt and nausea and vomiting everything you eat and drink. Which I didn't have vomiting the second time. It was a scary feeling for me. Try getting papaya enzymes they are my lifesavers
Lessoflinda
on 6/5/13 8:14 pm - NY

Do you take the papaya enzymes immediately after the food feels 'stuck?'

Linda, Endwell, NY RNY 11/5/12

dahoodman
on 6/5/13 9:52 pm - VA
RNY on 03/26/13

I believe what you are describing is what it feels like to have things stuck which could indicate a stricture. I have recently been adding foods that I probably shouldn't be eating and increasingly having issues like this. What I have done is go to protein drinks for two days to try and get the food that is "clogging" things up out of there. I believe my issue is bread. Yes, I've been a bad boy and I ate some bread, a couple 3 or 4 times. My surgeon's office said some things, like bread, (or maybe something you didn't chew well too) will ball up in your stomach and just sit there for days and you won't even know it. Every time you try to eat the right things, you will feel like it's getting stuck and it is. That's not to say that you don't have a stricture, but before you go all out and have to go through the endoscopy and paying for it, try to take it easy for a few days. Take some papaya enzyme, drink lots of water, maybe try protein shakes for a few meals or really pureed foods too and see if you can't get whatever it is to clear. If you still have issue then go have it checked out. In my opinion, you don't want to get malnourished so don't let this go on for a long time, but before you jump out there to have surgical procedures done, try to clear it up on your own.

[Highest: 303] [Surgery Day: 295] [Current: 199.8] [Goal: 180][To Go: 19.8[Height: 5' 8"]

I have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve   

I have a history of losing my shirt Barenaked Ladies - One Week

kisersassy
on 6/6/13 12:49 am - Stanaford, WV
RNY on 10/29/12
Usually you know immediatly if something isn't going down right or setting right. I also take the papaya if I feel I over ate. I just chew 3 papaya enzymes and within a few minutes I feel better
shannonigan
on 6/6/13 1:07 am - Tooele, UT
RNY on 04/30/13
Thanks so much for the advice! I will definitely buy some papaya enzyme!

Dunewill
on 6/6/13 4:54 am
RNY on 05/06/13
I don't post too often but I do stalk the boards regularly, but this is the first time I have heard of papaya enzymes. What is this stuff? Sounds like root-rooter for your pipes.

I am a little over four weeks out and have similar issues and pain so I am curious about this. But I have learned what does it to me and that is eating too fast or not chewing as well as I should.

Thanks in advance.

Don

Highest (295) Surgery (280) Current (245.8) Goal (175)

selhard
on 6/6/13 9:10 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

The papaya enzyme I purchased is a chewable lozenge which helps support protein digestion.  After eating meat, I have had a stuck feeling.  Chewing a couple of papaya enzymes seemed to breakdown the meat and give me relief.  The brand I purchased is called NOW in a purple and orange plastic bottle.  180 chewable lozenges $6.79 at a local pharmacy.  

dahoodman
on 6/6/13 8:50 pm - VA
RNY on 03/26/13

Keep in mind that it is for breaking down PROTEINS and not carbs so if you eat the wrong things and those get stuck, papaya is likely not going to help. Every now and then when I have something stuck that is a protein I go for the papaya and soon after taking it I do spit up, which relieves the pain, but I would rather digest the protein I ate. It doesn't do it all the time but when you have stuck or too much food in your stomach, adding more stuff compounds the issue so there is a chance of spitting up. I generally try to take it as soon as I know something's up. 

[Highest: 303] [Surgery Day: 295] [Current: 199.8] [Goal: 180][To Go: 19.8[Height: 5' 8"]

I have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve   

I have a history of losing my shirt Barenaked Ladies - One Week

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 544 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 527 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 324 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?