I need some HELP!!

brenda_m
on 6/4/13 1:29 am - Renick, WV

Im pre-op and Im hoping to have my surgery in Sept. I HAVE to quit smoking. Im having a hard time with this. Its more of a nervous habit than anything else. Has anyone else had to do this before surgery? What did you do to stop? I want to be healthy and I know I will be much healthier when I do quit. I never tried to quit before. I cant do any patches because of some of the meds I take. I think this will be harder for me to accomplish than the surgery and post-op itself. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/4/13 1:46 am - OH

Have you considered trying the Chantix pills?  That's how my mom quit after smoking for 40 years.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

semitchell1972
on 6/4/13 2:03 am
I quit using Chantix. I have been smoke free for over a year now.
brenda_m
on 6/4/13 2:10 am - Renick, WV

I was going to ask my PCP about it tomorrow. ( I go to weigh in). Not sure if Chatix has the same ingredients as the patch. Thanks for responding, Ill check with her tomorrow.

Carol_onmyway
on 6/4/13 2:24 am

I quit smoking about 7 years ago. I know how hard it is. I didn't use anything to quit but I had certain times I smoked more than others such as in the car, while on the phone, or after I ate. When I was in those situations I would do something else with my hands like pop bubble wrap (i know it sounds crazy but it worked) and i chewed a lot of gum :) Those things helped me and I have never turned back. I know it's not as easy for some though. Just remember to keep yourself busy during a craving.

Craig C.
on 6/4/13 2:33 am - Fort Worth, TX

I quit over 3 years ago with Chantix as well works so well. What I liked is that it didn't have nicotine in it. Thats what I didnt like about the patches. It truely was a god send. You can continue to smoke for the first week while taking the medicine and then the second week you stop. You will be amazed that you have no cravings to smoke. 

brenda_m
on 6/4/13 2:39 am - Renick, WV

Thanks for the good ideas Carol. Ill keep them in mind. Im going to check into the chantix. Would be nice to have alittle help. This is going to be so hard for me. I tend to light up at all times but like I said I think it is more of a nervous thing than anything. Of course eating was a nervous thing too and Ive managed to get that under control. Thanks everyone.

poet_kelly
on 6/4/13 3:24 am - OH

Since the patch is just nicotine, I don't understand why you can't do that but you can smoke.  You're getting nicotine from smoking.

But anyway, there are other ways to quit.  Have you talked to your doctor about what might work best for you?

If you think you smoke because you're nervous, have you tried seeing a therapist or taking meds for anxiety?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Soapy
on 6/4/13 3:41 am
I take welbutrin which is the same as zyban. Also I knew if I did not quit I would not be approved for surgery. Good Luck!

addict05
on 6/4/13 4:30 am - IL

I had an allergic reaction to Chantix (horrible) so I quit using the E cig.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 520 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 403 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 258 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics