Six years ago today I had bariatric surgery...

Barbara C.
on 6/4/13 9:18 am - Raleigh, NC

Six years ago today I had Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass surgery. The primary reasons that I had the surgery were to address the health issues I had developed that were associated with my obesity. All of the health issues that spurred me forward to seek bariatric surgery have resolved, including:

·         Type 2 Diabetes Melitus (T2DM) has resolved with an HbA1C that runs between 5.1 and 5.3, so I no longer take medications to keep it under control.

·         My Hereditary Hemachromatosis is well managed; I have not had a phlebotomy since my surgery.

·         Blood pressure which is normally about 100/65 is excellent and had dropped about 20 points.

·         LDL and HDL cholesterol is fair, but with a family history of high cholesterol, I'm delighted.

·         Recent sleep study shows that I no longer have sleep apnea.

While the health issues are what spurred me to have the surgery, the improvements in my quality of life are the truly tangible benefits of my sustained weight loss. They include:

·         Being able to fit ANYWHERE, airplane seats, booths, turnstiles, amusement park rides, etc...

·         Being able to shop for clothes in any store that my pocketbook can afford.

·         Being able to handle the summer heat so much better.

·         Being able to tie my shoes or paint my toenails and breathe at the same time.

During the past six years, I lost all of my excess weight and while I did experienced a regain; I also learned how to leverage the power of my tool, learning to maintain a healthy, stable weight. I have to say that when I was researching bariatric surgery, one of my biggest concerns was that I would not be able to maintain the loss of my excess weight. I’m delighted that I have been able to maintain the loss of my excess weight and look forward to continuing to enjoy the health and quality of life benefits that come with living at a healthy weight.

I'm delighted I made the decision to do this and would do all over again.

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

ShadeMcG
on 6/4/13 9:32 am
RNY on 11/04/12
Awesome!!! I am looking forward to having lost all of my excess weight and move into maintenance mode. Great job!

Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Height:  5'11", Highest Weight:  281  Surgery Weight:  266 Goal Weight:  165  Current Weight:  170

Jody U.
on 6/4/13 11:43 am - Port Moody, Canada

Hi Barbara

Congratulations.  I too had the Roux-n-y 6 years ago in April.  I also did it mostly for health issues too.  I really can relate to your post as almost all of it applies to me.  About a year and a half ago I had a health scare (nearly died) and gained about 35 pounds.  My lowest weight was 133 and last summer I tipped the scales at 180.  Today I weigh 143, which according to my friends and family is the lowest I should be as I was "too skinny"  at 133.  I lost the 38 pounds by watching my food intake, limiting carbs and sugars and focusing on protein and EXERCISING.  Something all post op newbies should focus on.  Please keep exercising, it really helps control your hunger and in turn controls your weight.

Good Luck All

Jody U
Port Moody  BC
RNY Montreal Dr Christou
Apr 17 2007

Barbara C.
on 6/4/13 1:07 pm - Raleigh, NC
Hi Jody,

It sounds as though we have very similar experiences. Congratulations on your own successes. I hope that those coming behind us hear that they can definitely leverage this tool in the near and long term.

Wishing you. Continued success,

Barbara

Barbara C.
on 6/4/13 1:04 pm - Raleigh, NC
Thanks and I look forward to hearing of your success as you move forward in your own journey.

Barbara

Lisa_Douglas
on 6/4/13 9:37 am
RNY on 05/20/13
Thank you for sharing- very inspiriational! So happy for you!!
Barbara C.
on 6/4/13 1:07 pm - Raleigh, NC
You are welcome and thank you for the good wishes.

Barbara

Lessoflinda
on 6/4/13 9:51 am - NY

Congratulations and thanks for sharing!

Linda, Endwell, NY RNY 11/5/12

Barbara C.
on 6/4/13 1:08 pm - Raleigh, NC
Thank you and you are welcome,

Barbara

Kristenselfs
on 6/4/13 10:20 am - PA
As a new post op of 4 weeks, I so needed to here as it is not easy transitioning from every food to liquids and not purée, doing good though tolerating everything, next step soft foods, hope all goes well. But your post was so inspirational, the reason I did this surgery was for health, as I am 65. So congratulations and thank u so much.
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 505 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 416 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 118 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?