Starting liquids today... Then discharge... Surgery was Monday... Scared

Mph05mph06
on 6/11/13 10:59 pm
I am two days post op... Still in the hospital... They are bringing me my liquid tray soon, and I am super nervous. I feel safe being NPO... can I please just keep my IV one more day.... My pain hasn't been terrible but definitely there. I feel lots of gurgles in my tummy, I'm guessing its gas.
I just hope I can tolerate the liquids. I threw up once already and that was very very painful... Don't want to do it again.
Wish me luck!
Needanewbeginning
on 6/11/13 11:19 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

First off, welcome to the bench! Take your time, baby sips. You will do great. Once you can get up and start walking, it will get rid of that gas. 

Sip, sip, sip, walk, walk, walk, toot, toot, toot! 

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Vivian Prouty
on 6/11/13 11:36 pm - Fort Worth, TX

Congratulations on your decision to take your life back from obesity.    My pouch still talks to me at times and I am going on 8 yrs. post op.   It could be gas though at this time.    The gas will leave you the more you get up and move.    As the other poster said....take baby sips of the protein when you get it.  Don't take any gulps or you will be throwing up more.   I also threw up in the hospital and it is definately NO fun at all.   I'm sure you will do great.   Just do exactly as your told by your doctor and try if you can to get in all your protein in daily and since it's summer as much fluids as you can.    Dehydration happens very quickly in the summer time if you don't get in enough fluids.    I'm sure you will fine with the liquids.    Good luck.

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

Mph05mph06
on 6/12/13 12:34 am
They brought me jello, tea, and a popsicle... I went straight for the popsicle... So far I feel a mild discomfort. Thank you for the positive feedback. I've been doing allot of walking. First time drinking... One day at a time... No regrets yet.
PetHairMagnet
on 6/12/13 2:39 am
RNY on 05/13/13

You'll do fine! Try room temp water, not cold. The cold tore me up, same with my husband.

I went home at 23 hours after my surgery and did just great. My husband went home less than a day later, too. Try tiny sips. It took me four or five sips to get 30 ml down.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Mph05mph06
on 6/12/13 3:06 am
Thank u... I'm a little uncomfortable... Tight feeling in my chest... Is this my new full?
oceanluv05
on 6/12/13 7:21 am

The gurgles are probably the gas which will hang around for a bit until it's all worked out of you. WALK WALK WALK that hallway if they have cleared you to do so :) 
I know it's scary ( I'm 2 months post op); but you are in the best place possible to start sipping :)  BEST OF LUCK!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 503 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 466 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 403 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 417 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 100 views
Forum Search Error & 404