Gallbladder being removed!!!! Ahhhhh! Freakin OUT!

Lianne D.
on 6/11/13 2:56 am - Burnsville, MN
RNY on 10/14/13

So I went to my dietician appointment and I asked if there were any info about my gallbladder results that she could find out because I didn't have time to go over them with my doctor due to training at work. She looked at the notes that the surgeon made and it said there are "multiple stones" found. My dietician said that more then likely my surgeon will just remove it during surgery. I'm not sure why but the thought of them cutting my stomach doesn't scare me even a little but the thought of having one of my organs removed is FREAKING ME OUT. My surgeon called me today and he talked with me about it. He reassured me that this is normal and that its a pretty simple procedure. Does anyone else think I'm overreacting about this?

poet_kelly
on 6/11/13 3:04 am - OH

The gall bladder is an organ we can live without.  It does have a job it does for us - it stores bile, then releases it when we eat a fatty meal, so the bile helps digest the fat.  Without a gall bladder, bile gets released a little at a time, all the time, but there's no big release of it when we eat a lot of fat.  So if you eat a really fatty meal after your gall bladder is removed, you may end up with diarrhea.  Since you aren't supposed to eat a really fatty meal anyway after RNY, it's not that big a deal not to have your gall bladder anymore.

The surgery itself to remove it is pretty simple, and since they are already in there operating anyway, it shouldn't be a big deal to have it removed.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

PetHairMagnet
on 6/11/13 5:46 am
RNY on 05/13/13

I agree that it is not a big deal and I would be glad to have it out now vs. a second surgery later. Consider that a blessing on many fronts.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Jennifer D.
on 6/11/13 4:06 am, edited 6/11/13 4:06 am - Wareham, MA
RNY on 06/15/12

I had my gallbladder out 9 years ago.  It was laparoscopic, easy, and I have had no problems since it was removed.  (I was happy to have the stones, since my mom died of gallbladder cancer and I can now cross that off my list as a possibility.... )

You are overreacting... I understand that you think some "important part" of you is being removed, but you don't need it for anything, and if you're suffering you will feel much better!!! :)

It will be ok! 

brenda_m
on 6/11/13 10:33 am - Renick, WV

I had mine removed 2 yrs ago. No big deal. The worst part was the biopsy. I also had mine done laproscopicaly, and really, its no big deal. You'll be fine. Keep your chin up!!

newlifegirl
on 6/11/13 11:15 am
RNY on 06/06/13

Don't worry. My surgeon removed my appendix 5 years ago (that's how I met him), and I just had WLS 6 days ago, and believe me, I'd rather have had to do only one surgery instead of two. It's gotta come out. Gall bladder attacks, from what I hear, are extremely painful, and the rapid weight loss you are about to undergo will certainly cause them if you already have stones. You'll wake up, and will never know the difference. Also remember, your gall bladder is tiny, like the size of your pinky :) Good luck!

JanicesJourney
on 6/11/13 1:14 pm
RNY on 04/29/13

I had RNY surgery on 4/29.  My gallbladder scan showed multiple stones.  My doctor said they don't routinely take it out, but he would take a look at it and make a decision during the surgery.  He said that when he looked at the gallbladder, it had a lot of adhesions and scarring (from past inflammation), so he took it out.  He also did an umbilical hernia repair, a hiatal hernia repair, and bowel resection.  All were done laparoscopically.  I felt really lousy after the surgery, and I was in the hospital 5 days.  But the majority of the pain was from the hernia operations.  I am so grateful the doctor took my gallbladder out then, so I won't have to get it done in the future.  I suffered no problems from the GB removal.  My incisions were very tiny.  It is amazing what they can do laparoscopically.  My advice would be to get it out when you have your bariaric surgery.  But, of course, always listen carefully to your doctor's advice.  Good luck to you.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 292 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 128 views
Recent Topics