Pre-Op Diet Question

adamlandreth
on 6/12/13 6:06 am - NC

I began my pre-op diet on 6/4 with the instructions to lose 9-15 pounds before my surgery on 6/25.  I am starving every waking moment but have not veered from it in the slightest bit for 8 days.  I have lost 14 pounds already and still have 13 days to go.  My coworkers said I look really exhausted and and I have so little energy...having had the success I've had to this point, would it be really detrimental to have a normal meal and then get back to it?  I am finding myself somewhat irritable from hunger and have never had headaches in my life but have had a couple the last few days--think it is tied to this?

My daily allowance is:

2-3 Protein Shakes (80-110 calories, 17-25 g protein,

It comes down to a simple question: what do you want out of life, and what are you willing to do to get it?

Beyl689
on 6/12/13 6:14 am - Gonzales, LA
RNY on 07/11/13
When you say pre op diet do you mean liquid diet?
adamlandreth
on 6/12/13 6:19 am - NC
adamlandreth
on 6/12/13 6:22 am - NC

Not exclusively...I also get 3 oz of protein, a cup of veggies, and a yogurt each day with my protein shakes...for some reason my post left that off.

It comes down to a simple question: what do you want out of life, and what are you willing to do to get it?

Tracy13
on 6/12/13 6:16 am - WV

You can try calling your surgeon, I know a friend who had a really hard time with her liquid diet so the surgeon let her go on some lean meat, grilled chicken plain I think. I am on day 4 of liquids and today is the first day that I am not in a horrible mood and not craving something. I had a real hard time with head hunger, I kept telling myself I wasn't hungry and it was all in my head. I just try to remind myself why I chose to do this and this is only a small amount of time in a whole lifetime of benefits I will receive from the surgery.

Good luck! Sending many positive thoughts your way

HW- 405 (January 2011)

6/20/13 Surgery Day-374

adamlandreth
on 6/12/13 10:51 am - NC

Hi Tracy---thanks for your reply.  I am trying similar strategies and they do help.  I think you bring a good point that I have to keep perspective on the sacrifice for the return--and what a great exchange that will be!

PetHairMagnet
on 6/12/13 7:28 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Did he intend you to be on a liquid diet for 21 days?

I was on it for 22, but I am an exception, happend to have a scheduling snafu.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

adamlandreth
on 6/12/13 10:49 am - NC

Yes--the duration was intentional (but is is not exclusively liquid, I can have 3 oz protein, a cup of veggies and a yogurt as well daily).  But it was the same for all patients regardless of age/metabolism/activity level/gender....a lot of factors that impact consumption I would think.  I moved this weekend with the help of one buddy, played tennis, mowed, etc so I stay active, also I'm only 26...not sure if that impacts things.  I just know I am hungry constantly and it is manifesting in my energy levels, irritability, etc.  

Penny H.
on 6/12/13 11:39 am

I am starting my pre-op diet on the 16th and will be on it for 10 days.  I have ordered Unjury protein powder in a multitude of flavors and I have a back up supply of Atkins Advantage.  I also plan on having a supply of sugar free jello and sugar free icey pops on hand.  I think my biggest challenge will be my husband who thinks liquid includes anything pureed...including bacon!  I am hoping for the best!  My surgery is on the 26th and I am interested in hearing how your experience went!!

msnmayo
on 6/13/13 2:09 am - kinston, NC
I can understand what you are going through. I have been on Optifast for 7 days now and 7 to go. I feel as if I am mentally fighting myself everyday. My stomach will say "just a little bite." My brain has to constantly remind me what I'm in this for! It's definitely not easy and prepares you for what is to come.
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 424 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 404 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 249 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 295 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 113 views
Recent Topics