NSAIDS Post op for pain

theJigglyDiariesRNY
on 6/20/13 1:58 am
Hi all I will make this as brief as possible

I am a year and a half post op from gastric bypas surgery my only problem has been gastritis so I take omeprazole and other acid reducers so I'm not doing to bad thankfully.

But now I am experiencing something I never had; MIGRAINES! I am not 100% sure they're migraines being that I haven't had the typical nasuea or vomiting so I don't know. Point is I have been in misery for weeks with a headache. I've had a CT scan all negative bloodwork etc.

I called my nurse about taking some sort of pain med and she said it was ok to take ibuprofen if its taken with food. I am so confused becaus my research has shown NSAIDS are quite dangerous for us, an I already have tummy problems but this headache is driving me crazy, so I need your advice and if anyone has taken NSAIDs let me know your experience please! thanks in advance.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/20/13 2:07 am - OH

Some people take NSAIDs after RNY on an occasional basis and have not had any problems (I had to do 5 days of them, along with a PPI, myself at one point) but other people have gotten an ulcer from a single dose of an NSAID.  I assume that Tylenol isn't helping you...  only you can decide whether getting relief from the pain is worth risking an ulcer in your pouch or b,ind remnant stomach.  Sometimes the medical necessity outweighs the potential risk.

I know there are a couple of people here who have migraines and take medication for them, so hopefully they will respond and can tell you want they take.  Have you considered that it may be a sinus headache rather than a migraine?  Perhaps a sinus preparation would give you some relief.  It cannot hurt (as long as it has no NSAIDs, of course).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

theJigglyDiariesRNY
on 6/21/13 5:49 am

Are u some sort of wizard? lol I went to the clinic and my PCP told me perhaps ot was a sinus infection, but just in case, she gave me a referral to a neurologist. so i in little pain but its still there, not enough to drink any pain med except benadryl when i wanna knock out. Thanks for the reply!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/21/13 10:26 am - OH

I'm glad you are feeling better!!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 6/20/13 2:22 am - OH

The ASMBS recommends against any use of NSAIDS post op, so I do not take them.  It is not worth the risk to me.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

poet_kelly
on 6/20/13 2:23 am - OH

There are plenty of meds for migraines that aren't Nsaids, by the way.  Why not try Imitrex or something like that?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

theJigglyDiariesRNY
on 6/21/13 5:51 am

I wont lie my PCP is not the best, when i asked her about it she said "she wasn familiar" but i'm like get familiar!!! Im getting a new doc bc none seem to get that gastric bypass patients cant use whatever meds you throw at us, so annoying. But if the pain persists i will be sure to ask some from another physician.

Joie85
on 6/20/13 2:26 am - Edmonton, Canada
RNY on 01/16/13

For my Migraines, the only thing that works for them is topamax.  Where I am from they are expensive but I am on a high dose.  My surgeon said they were safe to take after surgery so they are ok.  I would know.  Before surgery I broke my ankle and they thought it was gout because of my weight and gave my really high powered NSAIDS and when I took them like prescribed they destroyed the lining of my stomach.   So after I know if something have an NSAID in it, I could not even take on baby asprin without pain. 

I know a lot of pills that I have tried to control the migraines also have been pills to control depression but then again none of these are over the counter, so you will have to see your family dr. 

Hope this helps.

juleskar
on 6/20/13 6:00 am
I went to urgent care recently for a migraine. I ended up with a prescription for maxalt. Be careful what the docs say you can take. I was repeatedly told to get excederin migraine. I repeatedly told them I can't take it because it contains aspirin, which is a NSAID!! Have someone drive you to see the doctor (if possible) because they gave me Demerol, which did the trick, but they won't give it to you if you're going to be driving. Hope you feel better soon!!
theJigglyDiariesRNY
on 6/21/13 5:53 am

thank you so much and im sorry for the pain your're going through. feel better, hope migraines can be gone forever!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 427 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 382 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 425 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 274 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 409 views
Recent Topics