????Nsaids

Kay1975
on 6/16/13 12:04 am - PA

I am nine months out and I have pulled a muscle in my back severely. Has anyone taken Ibprofen or motrin this far out or is it always going to be not safe to take.  I have tylenol but it isnt helping at all.   Plz help!!

Kay Kay

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/16/13 12:06 am - OH

It will always pose the risk of ulcers in the pouch (and remnant stomach) for us.  It is not a temporary restriction.

Have you seen the doctor?  The best thing you can do is get a mild muscle relaxer.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Diminishing Dawn
on 6/16/13 12:06 am - Windsor, Canada

Alwys unsafe long term.   But many surgeons will let you use then with an acid reducer. They can cause ulcers 

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

poet_kelly
on 6/16/13 12:13 am - OH

Sure some people have taken NSAIDS.  Some have developed ulcers as a result and some have not.

They never get any safer for us, no matter how far out you are.  I always ask myself if the pain in my back is worse than the pain of an ulcer would likely be.   Most of the time, I'd rather deal with the back pain than an ulcer, especially an ulcer in my blind stomach.  Once I was in enough pain that I decided it was worth the risk and took some Motrin.  As far as I know, it did not cause any problems for me, but it is possible to get an ulcer from just one dose.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/16/13 12:30 am
I don't. I was taking chances once in a while and paid for that. Even when I took that very short term (2 doses) and took PPI for a few days after.. Still ended up with pouch pain.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

smilesandcurves
on 6/16/13 1:13 am - TX
RNY on 08/08/13 with

For sharp pains, my chiro recommends ice packs. Ice til it goes past the cold feeling, burning feeling as you want numb. Numb takes about 20 minutes. Try some good deep stretching and yoga to work the surrounding muscles GENTLY as you need to get some circulation there. I love my ice pack, I have degenerative disc disease and sciatic nerve flare ups so I am leary of giving up my nsaid, but I will when I meet my doc for the presurgery consult. Try a muscle relaxer and get a good massage, I go and get a massage every month and that helps my back a lot. Plus, I love it. :-)

Dancing my way to better health,

Tara

Lisa_Douglas
on 6/16/13 3:14 am
RNY on 05/20/13

Ask for prescription for flexaril - good for muscle spasms.  

PetHairMagnet
on 6/16/13 8:49 am
RNY on 05/13/13

If it were me, I would be asking for 10mg of Flexeril, a pulled muscle needs a muscle relaxer, IMO. However you cannot drive with them, so plan around that.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 324 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 374 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 466 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 380 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 324 views