almost 2 1/2 years post op... taking my vits... and all of a sudden i'm anemic and fainting

terilynn112
on 6/20/13 1:36 am - maryland, NY
I had a band to bypass revision on 1-11-11. I've done good. I'm pleased with my weight loss. I'm still changing shape, but the scale doesn't move often.

I've had kidney stones this year, 2 surgeries for that. I've had an attempt at a spinal cord stimulator, failed, but month and a half long spinal headache. I have had knee surgery (just 3 weeks ago). And through it all I've maintained my weight.

Last Thursday night I fainted for the first time. Since then I've gone out about 6 or 7 times. I've lost count. I did go almost 24 hours without fainting once. Made up for it that day going twice.

I went to see my pcp, and he ordered an EKG, normal. He ordered several blood tests, and the only one I have results for is my hematocrit and hemoglobin are low. I drink between 75 and 90 ounces of water a day to prevent kidney stones. A friend says I'm drinking to much, and it's just over hydration. I'm at a loss... so suggestions are appreciated.

teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

Patm
on 6/20/13 1:56 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

The surgery could have left you with low iron. Take an iron supplement with vitamin c and see if that helps. Drinking water will help not hinder

terilynn112
on 6/20/13 2:13 am - maryland, NY
I have always taken vitamin c with my iron. That's something my surgeon teaches from day one.

Teri

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/20/13 2:18 am - OH

Your friend is VERY mistaken.  75-90 ounces of water is NOT enough to cause problems.  Unless, of course, you chug it all down in an hour.  Most surgeons tell people to get at LEAST 64 ounces daily.  

What about your blood pressure and blood sugar?  Those are often the culprits for lightheadedness and can cause fainting if very low.

Did your PCP order a full set of vitamin labs?  The are several vitamin deficiencies that could be the problem as well (but less likely than blood sugar or pressure).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

terilynn112
on 6/20/13 2:52 am - maryland, NY
I'm not 100% sure all he did. I felt so crappy that day it was a cbc and a profile c. Whi*****ludes electrolytes, vitamins, and sugars.

Ironically I've been having issues with low blood sugars but my sugars when I've gone out (well come back) have been like 90's, and I've had a few high 80's, but I'm never symptomati****il I hit low 30's high 20's. I've driven as low as 28, completely non-symptomatically. Blood pressure has been more an issue. He wanted to put me on a med to increase my blood pressure but it causes weight gain, and I refused.

I drink about 20 ounces between breakfast and lunch, then between lunch and dinner, then another 30- 40 between dinner and breakfast. Yes I'm often up until way late... 2 am this morning drinking. And all but one (and that's not counted) cup is water. I also drink one cup, decaffeinated coffee. Rarely, I'll trade 8 ounces for a protein shake, usually after dinner, if I haven't made my amounts that day.

I take my vitamins in this manor: Breakfast (usually while I'm making breakfast and getting the boys dressed- then eat) My multivitamin. my celexa (anti depressant) , Zyrtec, dry d 3, With breakfast (by orders of my nephrologist and bariatric team) 500 mgs of calcium citrate (with some vitamin d).

Mid morning: my 500 mgs of vitamin c (chewable), and iron in the form of Nifferex 180 mgs.

Lunch another 500 mgs of calcium citrate.

Dinner another 500 mgs of calcium citrate.

Bedtime: I have my PPI Prilosec and my ambien if needed.

I also take As needed: Oxycodone for chronic pain. Zofran for nausea.

I do not take oral B12 as I get it in shot form monthly. I am a week late, but my levels are good. I get the shot because oral b12 makes me nauseated beyond zofrans help. My last level drawn in January was right where my bariatric surgeon likes it. I don't remember the numbers.

Teri

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/20/13 6:04 am

Some of us can't absorb iron. I already had 2 series of iron infusion. in 2011, and 2012. And I take iron and I am post menopausal.  

Good luck. You most likely would need iron infusions. Most people have no problem with them (except $$ but some insurancee are better than others) 

BTW: the weight gain from raising your BP would be due to water retention.. - the extra liquids will increase your BP.   Having extra weight (not size) is worth feeling better.. been there - your weight is lower because your body do not keep enough liquids.. Even though your drink water- you may be low in salt and electrolytes and really dehydrated on the inside - hence the low BP. 

I rather see 3-4 lbs higher weight on  scale and feel better.. (fainting may cause to fell and really hurt yourself or others - head injury is not cool.. )  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Texas Girl
on 6/20/13 4:58 am

Hi Terilynn,

I got anemic and am still anemic but not as bad as I was. I take Slow-fe iron tablet once a day (at night) and in addition to my multi vitamins i take 3 flintstone w/iron chewables twice a day. This is working for me, but ask your doctor what iron to take? I am sorry for your health issue, I know it is crummy to feel sick. I hope you get better soon. Congrats on your weight loss.

Conniewink

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 296 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 128 views