To pasta or not to pasta?? That is the question

jensieck76
on 7/8/13 10:30 pm - TX
Ok well I am two months out and according to my guide I can have up to a 1/4 cup of pasta. I am making my tasty spaghetti tonight. Question is which should I use? Whole wheat or regular? I dont get alot of carbs in during the day and I loathe the texture of wheat pasta. What to do, what to do. Advice?

For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength. Phillipians 4:13 laugh

CW 190!!! GW Anything under 200 was the icing on the cake...going for 170...lil more icing never hurt anybody!

Diminishing Dawn
on 7/8/13 11:11 pm - Windsor, Canada

I'd skip it.  A side if anything, not the meal. 

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

poet_kelly
on 7/8/13 11:17 pm - OH

Well, whole wheat is healthier, but if you can't stand it, then I'd go with regular.  I'd just try a bite or two, though, to see how it goes.  A lot of people have trouble tolerating pasta.  I can eat about 1/3 cup now, at more than 4.5 years out, but it feels heavy and uncomfortable in my pouch.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

jensieck76
on 7/8/13 11:31 pm - TX
See, I think I will end up skipping it. I am a reformed carb junkie and I am afraid lol. I know my plan allows it but I dont know if I can allow it.

For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength. Phillipians 4:13 laugh

CW 190!!! GW Anything under 200 was the icing on the cake...going for 170...lil more icing never hurt anybody!

illinois Gama D.
on 7/8/13 11:43 pm

If you can skip it I think I would, this  is how those sneaky carbs get back in our lives,  this may be gross to some but I like spag sauce over cottage cheese, I know right, weird huh, you are  doing great, !!! DEnise

Rny 2003

come join the new R&R 3.0, where the fun is:)

Dee.spunk
on 7/9/13 12:04 am - Sacramento, CA
If you know carbs are your weakness, I'd skip it. Better safe than sorry right?

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

jazzycatz
on 7/9/13 12:03 am - Joppa, MD

I have carb addict issues as well. And pasta just didn't sit right after surgery (which for me was lucky) so I have stayed away from it. When we have spaghetti I have sauce in a bowl. I call it "spa-chili". LOL My DH likes to add cannellini beans to the sauce. So technically, if you change that bean to a red and update the spices...it's chili. So that's the way I started looking at it. A new form of chili...spa-chili. Sauce is the best part anyway. I think the pasta is just filler.

I toss a bit of shredded parm on the top and it's quite yummy. Even without the cannellini beans I still refer to it as spa-chili and it the sauce straight up. Or put it over a bit of cottage cheese. It's like lasagna then without the noodles.

Day_dream_believer
on 7/9/13 12:12 am

Serve it over spaghetti squash.  It is pretty good.  

Tatiana R.
on 7/9/13 12:37 am
RNY on 08/14/12

I use spaghetti squash also. Love it.

65rosesmom
on 7/9/13 1:09 am

I don't bother.  I don't like how it sits with me, though I do use the high protein wheat version.   I just put my sauce and homemade meatballs over whatever veggie I'm making.  Last night it was eggplant, but spaghetti squash or zucchini both work great.  I even made lasagna a few weeks ago using thin but wide slices of zucchini.  It was delish and I didn't miss the pasta at all.

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 516 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 397 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 252 views