Switching Forums, Band to Bypass question

Lisa O.
on 7/9/13 2:40 am - Snoqualmie, WA

Hi All!

I was a successful Lap Band patient who lost 116 in nine months (surgery in 2008) and was very active on the LB Forum.  But due to complications, I  had my band removed in May 2013.  I have gained 40 lbs over the last 2 years and am considering RNY surgery if my insurance approves.  We will be submitting next month.

Question?  Do you get dumping syndrome from fruit?  I understand that desserts and foods high in fat can cause it but I'm not sure about natural sugar sources.  I also know everyone is different, but I'm trying to get a good understanding of what to expect.

Thank you!

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

Tiggybeep
on 7/9/13 2:46 am
RNY on 04/02/13 with

Hi Lisa,

I'm also a band-to-bypass patient.  Only about 30% of bypassers get dumping syndrome altogether.  I haven't tested the waters with sweets, but fruit I have no problem with. 

Good luck and welcome to this forum,

Tiggy

poet_kelly
on 7/9/13 3:08 am - OH

I personally dump on table sugar (sucrose) but not on fruit.  Only about 30% of RNY folks dump at all, mind you.  And many that do dump only dump on table sugar, not on the natural sugar in fruit.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

KimKinVA
on 7/9/13 3:10 am
RNY on 11/13/12 with

Hi Lisa,

I had RNY in November 2012. I love fruit and usually have a small serving 1-2 times a day after my protein. I have not experienced dumping from fruit or dairy. I have not tested it with anything else. I've just told myself that I am a dumper so that I stay away from my old binge foods.

Like you mentioned, everyone is different so hopefully others will chime in too.

Good luck on your quest for RNY approval.

Take care, Kim

Mary Catherine
on 7/9/13 3:17 am
I dump less than once a year. Never from fruit. From a lot of sugar, like maybe five full size candy bars.

Mindless eating can still happen and dumping brings me back to reality.
karenp8
on 7/9/13 3:17 am - Brighton, IL

I am one of the 30% who dump also, but I only dump on table sugar. I discovered this eating someone else's cooking and only had problems the one time. I am very careful when eating out and can eat fruit with no problem.

Patm
on 7/9/13 3:23 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I only dump from too much fat. Fruit and sugar do not bother me at all.

Kim S.
on 7/9/13 4:18 am - Helena, AL

Just curious, not judging....have you considered the sleeve?  Since you did well with restriction only, wouldn't this be a good option?

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/9/13 5:53 am

Yea.. Agree with that.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/9/13 5:53 am

I dump from some fruits even on 1/4 cup of then and others - (like berries) only with large qty..  5 years out - I also get RH - reactive hypoglycemia if I eat too many fruits or don't eat proteins and fat with them. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 474 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 434 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 433 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 369 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 103 views
Forum Search Error & 404