NSV? Not sure I'd use the word "victory"...more like embarrassment :/

JanBooth
on 7/7/13 3:06 pm - KY
RNY on 09/25/12

I've been visiting with my husband's family just outside of Atlanta, GA for the 4th of July weekend.  We've done so many fun things.  One thing we did was go to a salon to have our nails done...mani/pedis!  OMG...such a nice place and I thoroughly embarrassed myself AND my family (one niece regularly goes to that particular salon).  I had just had some gel tips filled and a new polish the day before our trip, so I opted for a pedicure and just a change of fingernail color.  The girl doing my nails was so timid and quiet, but VERY good at what she was doing.  She did my pedicure and moved on to painting my fingernails.  As I looked down at my left hand to see the polish, I noticed that my wedding band and my grandmother's diamond ring was not on my finger!  I panicked and immediately told the girl, "My rings are gone!"  I told my sister-in-law that my rings were gone.  I know I hadn't taken them off, because I wasn't having anything more than a color change. I would have sworn in court that I had them on prior to the salon visit.  But, I know now that my memory is just not as swift as I'd like to think.
My sister-in-law called her husband and my husband, who were at a nearby coffee shop waiting for us.  They came to the salon, the staff looked everywhere, we looked everywhere.  Finally, I called the police. A police officer came, and when he told me that he couldn't search, could only take a report, and then an investigator would check into it, but more than likely nothing would turn up....I lost it.  I stood in the salon and cried, not just a quiet little cry, but a huffy, puffy, bawling and crying!  It was my grandmother's ring, for goodness sake!  Not a tremendous monetary loss, but the sentimental value could never be replaced.  I called my oldest sister, crying, and she tried to console me. 
So, anyway....we returned to my sister-in-law's house, I walked around with my sandals on for a bit, then took my shoes off.  As I walked through the bedroom doorway, I stepped on something that hurt my foot.  It was my ring!!!  The diamond ring that I, basically, accused the poor nail tech of stealing!  I didn't see the wedding band, but honestly, at that point I didn't care!  My husband joked that all bets were off...lol  So, best we can figure is that I've lost enough weight that my rings just fall off of my left ring finger.  NSV?  I dunno...but, it's a nonscale change.
I am calling the GA police in the morning to let them know that I found the rings.  Oh, my sister-in-law found the wedding band just a little bit away from where I stepped on the other ring. 
Also, I am sending a letter of apology to the owner of the salon, as well as to the poor girl that I accused, by my actions, of stealing my rings.   
OOOHHHH....and another NSchange.  I had to wear black dress shoes that are too big, as I don't wear a wide width anymore and didn't get a chance to buy new shoes to wear to church in GA.  We went out to eat after church and as I was walking, in my clodhopper shoes, I slipped and fell to my knee...ouch!  It hurt.  Embarrassed my hubby's family, yet again!  LOL 

Janet

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~ Dr. Seuss~

ToNewBeginnings
on 7/7/13 10:06 pm

Sending a letter will take more than a day. I would call the salon and speak with the owner and apologize to the girl in person. 

I would be devastated if someone accused me of stealing.

JanBooth
on 7/8/13 2:27 pm - KY
RNY on 09/25/12

The salon was closed on Sunday, we were on the road all day today, returning home.  I called the police station to report that I found the rings, but they had closed at 2:30pm...?  So,I have to call in the morning. 
I did call the salon and spoke with a woman, who said she was the "manager"and spoke very little English.  The man, who appeared to be the owner, and another woman who appeared to be in charge when we were there, spoke very fluent English (most employees are Asian) but the woman who answered the phone, then the "manager" who spoke with me both seemed to not understand what I was saying.  The "manager" kept asking if wanted a manicure AND a pedicure, as well as when I wanted to come in. 
I'm sending a card with an apology. 

Janet

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~ Dr. Seuss~

brenda_m
on 7/7/13 11:07 pm - Renick, WV

Funny story. What a time you had, lol. Poor salon tho. Oh well. It was an honest mistake and Im sure the salon will accept your appology. I know how getting old can mess with your mind. I have the same problem. lol. Glad you found your grandmothers ring too. Appologize and move on. Tomorrow is another day.

JanBooth
on 7/8/13 2:31 pm - KY
RNY on 09/25/12

Yes, it was an honest mistake.  I've been accused of things in my nursing career that I know I didn't do...or did do, in some cases!  Most times, no one ever offered an apology.  Of the ones that did, I accepted, and as you said...moved on. 
I just thank God that I found the ring.  My mother took such good care of it all of her life, passed it on to me, and I'm to pass it along to my daughter...to lose it would have been horrible! 

PetHairMagnet
on 7/8/13 3:19 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Wow, you accused someone of taking rings off your finger and stealing them? When you have a mani-pedi in the future, either leave your rings at home or pin them to you when asked to remove them. I am horrified for that poor nail technician. I would be sending flowers, personally. Are you sure you did not cost the poor girl her job?

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

JanBooth
on 7/8/13 2:43 pm - KY
RNY on 09/25/12

At the point when I noticed the rings missing, it wasn't just the tech that I thought could have removed them.  All sorts of things went through my mind. The woman sitting to the left of me, the one who looked at my fingernails when I entered the shop, the tech who set things up before the one who actually did my nails arrived to begin....all sorts of things went through my mind. 
I don't know if you've ever had something stolen, but I have had.  In New York, while traveling with a few small children on the subway, I had a very expensive watch stolen without my knowing.  My wallet was removed from my purse, only to be found later with everything of any value removed and left to be found by someone who turned it in to the police. 
I feel very badly for accusing someone of something that they did not do...but, I cannot undo what occurred.  It's a learning lesson, yes.  I will be bare handed, for future visits to nail salons. 

VintageChick
on 7/8/13 8:40 am

I vote for flowers or a gift card for a massage for HER. She must have been as horrified, if not more so, than you. Glad you found your rings!

MyLady Heidi
on 7/8/13 11:25 am

Wow, that is incredible.  I don't know how you could accuse someone of taking a ring off your finger while you are sitting there watching her.  How did you not notice they were loose?  I had my great grandmothers diamond resized twice as I lost weight because losing it would be horrifying to me.  My diamond and wedding band from my bf were purchased after I reached goal and are a nice fitted size five.  I really don't know what you can do to make this up to the poor nail tech and salon, but begging for forgiveness might be a good start.

JanBooth
on 7/8/13 2:53 pm - KY
RNY on 09/25/12

Like I said in a previous post, I did call but the people that I spoke with didn't seem to be the same that were there on our visit.  Most that we dealt with were very fluent in English.  The two that I spoke with on the phone didn't seem to understand what I was saying.  I started off asking to speak with the owner and/or manager.  I was turned over to a woman who asked if I wanted a mani AND pedi, then asked when I wanted to come in.  I tried again to explain what had happened and that I wanted to speak with either the owner or manager, she insisted that she was the manager but didn't understand.  So, sending a card may get to the appropriate person. 
I wasn'****ching the entire time.  My daughter was to my right, and we talked most of the time.  The rest of the time, I was sitting with my eyes closed, in a massage chair. 
I make NO excuse for what I did. Don't get me wrong.  It was a mistake that I would certainly not want to redo. 
My rings were not loose enough to just fall off, I thought.  Just recently, I was at a water park, climbing up rope obstacles with water pouring down, going through water slides and tubes...just all sorts of activities with my rings never budging.  I never thought that they'd just fall off!  If I had any idea that they were that loose, I would have them sized or get a guard. 
That is exactly what I am doing this week. 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 566 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 351 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 457 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 370 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 140 views
Recent Topics