purely protein diet

Weighting2Bskinny
on 7/16/13 8:14 am
So, I decided I am going on a purely protein diet. I go to my doctor next Tuesday, a week from today and have to lose 5 pounds to reach my goal. SO I am going to do this and lose all this weight. I am so wanting it to go by in a hurry. I am ready to weigh in and have all this hard work pay off. I have been at a plateau for like 2 weeks! And it is SO frustrating! I am going to hopefully wake up in the morning and see the scale going down down down! I cant wait. I want it to happen fast and now.

GOD BLESS YOU            
poet_kelly
on 7/16/13 8:24 am - OH

By a "purely protein diet," do you mean you are only going to eat protein?  That sounds really unhealthy.  Have you discussed this with your doctor or a registered dietician?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Weighting2Bskinny
on 7/16/13 8:26 am
yeah its purely protein. I am doing it or one week so I can reach my goal. Its not unhealthy. They told me to eat as much protein as I could anyway.

GOD BLESS YOU            
poet_kelly
on 7/16/13 8:29 am - OH

Hmm.  Seems like a low calories diet would be most effective, then.  But eating as much protein as you can could add up to a lot of calories.

An all protein diet is unhealthy.  It would contain almost no fiber and be lacking in many important nutrients.

It's your choice what you eat, though.  Good luck reaching your goal.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/16/13 8:42 am

I am not an expert - but no fat or fiber may result in a very unpleasant side effects...  Good luck... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Marie A.
on 7/16/13 9:02 am

I did prior to my surgery pretty much what I'm doing now.  I ate only so many calories.  High protein, low carbs/sugars and no white carbs or processed foods.  Pre-op I ate a shake in the am and at lunch with a sensible dinner consisting of protein and veggies/fiber.  Now I just do the Protein for breakfast since I don't like and never have liked breakfast.  I eat pretty normal foods that are still higher in protein but NOT solely protein!  I still try to curb the carb thing since it's my addition area but I do fiber and veggies, fats and all the other normal stuff.  And I stay away from the processed foods altogether! 

~Marie

It's not who you are that holds you back...
It's who you THINK your NOT!

highest weight = 315     pre-op weight = 290     current weight = 145

nfarris79
on 7/16/13 9:28 am - Germantown, MD

Not being an RD, I would just caution of what zero carbs can do to your ability to function. My NUT said we need around 30g carbs per day for normal brain function or you may end up feeling very fatigued and foggy/lessened concentration ability. So eating only protein (no dairy, no veg or fruit) for the short term may get you to your 5lb goal (maybe), be aware of how you might feel to get there.

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

poet_kelly
on 7/16/13 9:47 am - OH

Hala made a good point about the potential unpleasant results of a diet with no fat or fiber - serious constipation.  Which  means one might be, umm, holding a few pounds worth of poo.

lynnc99
on 7/16/13 11:14 am

Oh, we do want the weight to be gone fast! And now!

But the truth is, I'm convinced that this entire WLS experience is an exercise in teaching us patience. Some weeks are better than others for sure. Changing up your diet and aiming for high protein may work - but do ask your nutritionist, if one is available to you. 

And I'll be honest - if you go with protein ONLY, you are signing on for some real potential problems with constipation. Just sayin'. 

Grim_Traveller
on 7/16/13 11:47 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I'm about as hardcore a carnivore as a person can be, and I still get plenty of carbs. It is really, really difficult, probably almost impossible, to eat just protein for any extended period.

But the bigger question is, why do you want to? Once your protein needs are satisfied, weight loss is about calorie deficits. As Kelly mentioned, focus on your caloric intake and you will lose.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 538 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 275 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics