2 Year Surgerversary ...Long Post.

Zeigled
on 7/20/13 1:34 pm - Parkton, MD

Well, it’s been 2 years since my RNY surgery. I’m down about 190 lbs from surgery and a bit over 200 lbs from my high weight.  I can’t believe it’s been 2 years.  I thought I share some of my learnings and experiences from the past two years in case it would help others.  So here it goes…

First – I’m 50.  I had been thinking about this surgery for, literally, years before I did it.  It was a drastic step that seems to have worked for me.  I had tried all kinds of diets prior to this surgery but nothing that I could stay with/live with forever.  This is the longest I’ve ever gone without regain.  It took a long time to decide that my life had to change – frankly I LOVED eating.  Food was comfort and satisfying.  I LOVED going out to dinner (and still do). 

There were a lot of reasons I finally decided to go with the surgery.  My health was starting to go.  I had really pushed my body to its limits.  I basically abused it about as much as it was going to take and it was now giving in.  I, of course, had joint pain but I also had high blood sugar, borderline high blood pressure, and had sleep apnea (severe).  I got the report back after the sleep study and it said I would stop breathing for up to 2 minutes during the night.  I can’t even hold my breath for 2 minutes. 

I had always thought of myself as powerful and strong – but during a snow storm a few years back I was trying to get from the car to the house in about 3 ½ feet of snow.  I couldn’t do it.  If I had been by myself, I would have been stuck in the truck (or worse – stuck in the snow).  Luckily, my hubby got in front and helped clear the path to the house.  I was so out of breath, I couldn’t believe it.  So much for ‘strong’.

The first, I would say, 3 months after surgery were not great.  I was nauseated, tired and didn’t ‘see’ a big difference in weight, energy, etc. to feel the surgery was a good thing.  Along about 3 months out, the weight loss had started to become noticeable.  I got my previous energy level back (not extra, but not less than).  After about 6 months, the weight loss was significant and I started to get more energy. Clothes sizes were changing and I was off to the thrift shops and goodwill looking for clothes. At this point, I’ve stabilized to a medium or 10/12 in most things.  I’m still overweight by the charts but I’m fine with that.

What’s changed?  I have a huge amount of energy.  For the past 4 days, I’ve been scrubbing my basement tile floor on my hands and knees – moving stuff around, organizing, cleaning.  This past winter, I did a ton of yard work, cutting down weeds, brush, scrub trees, etc.  This summer (prior to surgery I would not have been outside in the summer) I am doing yard work, mowing, weeding, etc.  I put in a small flower garden.  I went to the zoo twice this summer – never would have happened in years prior.  I went on 2 day trips with the hubby as well.  Again – would not happen in the past both from a heat standpoint and walking issue.  I can go outside now and not DIE.  200 lbs overweight, I had a TERRIBLE time in the summer.  I was incredibly uncomfortable, irritable, and basically, just plain mean.  I HATED the summer.  Now it is ok – not great – wouldn’t call it my favorite season, but ok.  I can walk to the car without sweating and feeling like crap.  I used to get my husband to go cool the car off for me.  (Is he the nicest husband ever – or what?)  Now I can tolerate the heat so much better.  On the flip side, I get cold now.  This winter was the first winter since I was about 12 that I owned and wore a coat.  I literally NEVER wore a coat before this surgery.  I could be -10 F and I would be in short sleeve t-shirt and jeans and I wasn’t cold.  I would shovel snow in a t-shirt and jeans – not cold.  I didn’t even own a coat.  None.  That changed.  I have a jacket and a full coat now and needed them this past winter.  I have sweaters too.

Eating, of course, has changed.  I am sometimes amazed at how much I used to be able to eat.  One of the things I learned over the past 2 years is that the goal should not be to try and eat as much as you can – or to have a goal of trying to eat more.  I could eat more than I should now – at 2 years out.  I think it is important to learn correct portion sizes and for me, get into the habit of these new portion sizes for life.  The benefit of the surgery for me was that it forced the correct portion size on me.  I was forced to learn it.  I can choose now to stay with those sizes.  Don’t get me wrong, if I eat WAY too much – I’ll know it and be sick.  But that level is now above a normal amount of food.  I need to stay with my established food patterns so that I don’t eat too many calories.  I also have to choose the right foods.  Protein tops, then veggies, then a tiny bit of starch/fat.  I (luckily) still get nauseated with too much sugar.  So I can eat about 1 cookie for a snack.  More than a cookie and I’ll get nauseated.  The nice thing about this post surgery life is that I’m not GOING CRAZY for the cookie or for any food for that matter.  I haven’t had cravings that are unstoppable.  Prior to surgery, I had no ‘OFF’ button.  It seems the surgery put an OFF button back into my brain.  I feel like this must be what a ‘normal’ person feels like.  A 'normal' person is able to say, "I’ve had enough" and stop eating.  Prior to surgery I really could not do that.  I really really hope that this continues.

A lot of what I was told prior to surgery didn’t happen to me.  The doc said I would not be able to drink carbonated beverages; I can.  I loved seltzer with lime prior to surgery.  It was a big deal to say – I will not be able to have carbonation.  As it turns out I have no trouble with it.  Some people do, I understand.  I haven’t.  Another item was beef.  I LIVE on beef.  I have no trouble with beef, ground, steak, etc.  On the other hand, milk and cheese....too much and I’m nauseated.  Even skim milk.  I can drink about 3-4 oz.  After that, my stomach is unhappy.  Oddly enough, greek yogurt is not a problem.

There is a lot of extra skin in my post surgery life.  Arm flaps, saggy butt & legs, and saggy abdomen.  I have a little turkey neck going but not huge.  Also, my calves are still pretty large and I don’t have too much of a tapering to my ankles.  I’m not quite in the cankle category but they are not as defined as I would have thought.

I exercise 3 times a week – 1 hour on the treadmill (2.5 mph, at a 15 incline).  I sweat. My doctor wants me to do strength exercises on the other week days but this is what I think I can sustain – lifetime.  My doc (GP not surgeon) still wants me in the ‘normal’ weight range but I’m ok with where I am.  My surgeon says this weight is ok too.  All my bloodwork is normal.  I no longer have sleep apnea (none).  My blood sugar is normal; my blood pressure is normal.  I still have joint pain.  I have done a lot of damage over the years to the cartilage I guess.  Ah well. 

So, I'm sure I still have a lot to learn.  I'm going to continue to try and stick with the plan.  I would welcome any advice from others.  I have to say I am really happy with my choice.

HW 357 SW 341   

gbsinsatx
on 7/20/13 1:54 pm - San Antonio, TX

Great job! Congratulations! We have quite a few things in common. If interested, please see my profile page.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

Teach64
on 7/20/13 1:56 pm - OH
RNY on 07/01/13

Thank you for sharing your experiences with surgery. I had my surgery 3 weeks again, and I appreciate getting the big picture from the vets! 

Oxford Comma Hag
on 7/20/13 2:34 pm
Bravo! I will celebrate two years in September. I can relate to the summer dislike. For years I didn't like it either. It was just a hot, irritating time of year.
Keep up the great work!

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

tdbull
on 7/20/13 2:37 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
So great to hear of all of your NSV's, along with the huge weight loss. So happy for you!! Congrats.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

april89love
on 7/20/13 2:39 pm - NC

You have done awesome!!! I bet if you had some of the flab removed you would be in the normal category. Don't sweat it, numbers are over rated!

Sandy

HW 225, SW 219, GW 140, CW 124

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!  

Lessoflinda
on 7/20/13 7:55 pm - NY
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. You've done an awesome job!

Linda, Endwell, NY RNY 11/5/12

karenp8
on 7/20/13 8:19 pm - Brighton, IL

What an encouraging post. Thanks for sharing your journey with us!

illinois Gama D.
on 7/20/13 11:05 pm

Congrats!!!!! you have done very well, glad to see you here again, Denise

Rny 2003

come join the new R&R 3.0, where the fun is:)

CPA_Loser
on 7/20/13 11:22 pm - WA
Thanks so much for sharing!! Congrats on your successes!

I have yet to have the surgery and look forward to getting my life back!
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 369 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 343 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 390 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 403 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 343 views