Vitamines

NurseBrandy
on 7/22/13 3:42 pm

Hello,

Im getting closer to surgery ( hopefully ). Finishing up my 6 months of diet documentation. For now I want to focus on what vitamins I really need to purchase, and even start taking ahead of time. I am a nurse and have educated myself about the procedure, food, etc. However rather than just reading Id like to learn from people that have actually lived it :) Any advise is appreciated!!

Wobbly3
on 7/22/13 4:54 pm

Nurse Brandy.............suggest you look into "Chewable" vitamins, of the "Gummy" variety. With RNY, the passage of foods and such that you consume will be much more rapid than before surgery. As such, the absorption rate as is accomplished in the "normal" GI tract will be compromised. As one doctor explained to my wife, "with normal vitamins and meds, the end result is you will be deficient and your toilet will be very healthy!" If you take any Extended Release medications, discuss those with your physician also. He or she may replace them with liquid types.

poet_kelly
on 7/22/13 10:08 pm - OH

There are no gummy multivitamins available currently that have anywhere near all the nutrients we need.

And the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery says we absorb "normal" vitamins just fine.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Candy V.
on 7/22/13 7:45 pm - MI
RNY on 09/12/12

Just wanted to add that I have heard poet Kelly say not to use "gummy chewables"   While using chewables post op, get  a multi equalivant to centrum.  I used bariatric advantage chewables post op.  Now I use a regular multi 2x day, 3 doses of calcium citrate, B12 sublingual, Iron chewable, Dry vitamin D, B complex and a stool softener.    Your surgeon may have different recommendations, check with them also.

RNY 9/12    TT 9/13    HT 5' 4"   HW 250    SW 242   CW 125

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want a group invite?  Send a PM  

poet_kelly
on 7/22/13 10:08 pm - OH

Here's what the ASMBS says you should start with:

A multi with 100% of the RDA of most nutrients.  Take two a day.  Stay away from kids' vitamins and gummy vitamins, because those will not have what you need.  Even though Flintstones says “complete” on the bottle, they really are not complete but are missing a number of important things.  The ASMBS  recommends a multi with iron.  If you take a multi with no iron, you’ll need additional iron at a separate time.  They say to start your multi as soon as you get home from the hospital.

1500-2000 mg calcium citrate.  Make sure it's citrate, not carbonate.  That means no Caltrate and no Viactiv.  They say you can wait up to one month to start your calcium – not that you should wait, just that you can.

54-63 mg iron for menstruating women (18-27 mg PLUS 18 mg twice a day in your multi, if you use a multi with iron).  36 mg a day for people that do not menstruate.  We absorb carbonyl iron better than ferrous sulfate.  Ferrous sulfate will also make you constipated.  They say to start your iron as soon as you get home from the hospital.

B12.  You can use a sublingual, 350-500 mcg per day, nasal spray once a week, or shots once a month.  Unless your labs show you need more.  They say you can wait up to three months to start your B12 – not that you should wait, just that you can.

They say a B complex is optional.

Many people also need D3 so you should get your vitamin D level to find out if you do.  Don’t bother with the prescription vitamin D, because it’s D2 and in oil so we will absorb very little of it.  Everyone needs D3 and post ops need “dry” D3, not in oil.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

NurseBrandy
on 7/23/13 3:25 am
Thank you everyone!!
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 474 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 434 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 433 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 370 views