Update: they made me reschedule my bone density test.

Missy A.
on 7/26/13 6:49 am - NC
RNY on 08/17/12

Wen they asked me if I had taken a calcium supplement in the last 24 hrs and I told them that I had (by habit) they refused to do the scan. I asked to speak to the technologist to find out why it mattered and all she could tell is that it changes the end result of the scan. Tat made no sense to me and I told her thy I researched it last night and couldn't find anything on why one needs to stop calcium other thn one site said if he hadn't been digested yet, it could be mistaken for bone, she said she had never heard of that but knows they aren't allowed to do the scan if you have had calcium. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

if anyone knows of the reason, please tell me and where you got that information from!

Missy

HW:348 Consult W:320 SW:295 Current W:156 GW:140

poet_kelly
on 7/26/13 7:39 am - OH

I don't know why, and it doesn't make sense to me either when so many reputable sources, including the Mayo Clinic, say otherwise.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Ladytazz
on 7/26/13 8:51 am

I have never been asked about taking calcium before a DEXA scan.  Is that the same scan as you were scheduled to take?  I have never heard of that.  I would ask for clarification but I guess it doesn't really matter now if they have already canceled the scan.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

PetHairMagnet
on 7/26/13 10:05 am
RNY on 05/13/13

That just sounds crazy-sorry you had to reschedule. Good news is--you have gotten into a good habit with calcium!!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 540 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 289 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics