Hair loss, sunscreens, and hats...oh my!

JanBooth
on 7/27/13 2:17 am - KY
RNY on 09/25/12

I am sooo pale, and without sunscreen, I will burn terribly in a very short period of time in the sun.  So, I always slather on the sunscreen several times, when outdoors. 
In the past, it was sufficient to put a small amount of sunscreen on my scalp, just at the part line.  But, since I now have had such a loss of hair, I learned (the hard way) that I must find a way to protect my entire scalp.  My daughter's dance teacher invited several of us to a splash park and I did my usual sunscreen on the part line, but when I got home, my scalp was pink and tender all over!  So, when we decided to go to King's Island and the water park there, I had to decide what to do.  If I wore a hat, I took a chance of losing it on a water ride, and how in the world do you cover your entire scalp with sunscreen??  The hat was worn at the regular rides, and then when we went to the water park, I massaged sunscreen into my scalp. lol  It was yucky, but this morning, my scalp feels like it worked.  No further pinkness or tenderness.  So, I suppose this is my new routine until/if my hair grows back thicker?   

Janet

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~ Dr. Seuss~

PetHairMagnet
on 7/27/13 7:48 am
RNY on 05/13/13

One solution, depending on the length of your hair, is to comb it in like a leave-in conditioner and pull your hair back into a ponytail. I am ultra fair and burn very, very easily! I am always wearing 100 spf block just to spend some time outdoors and a burn on the scalp not only hurts like the dickens, but when it starts to peel, you look like ultra dandruff/eczema head. Blech!

The leave-in conditioner way (I used Neutrogena) works best for me!!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

JanBooth
on 7/27/13 9:05 am - KY
RNY on 09/25/12

I use both 50 and 100 SPF block.  I start off with the 100 and then follow up several times with the 50.  My hair isn't long enough for a ponytail.  I just massaged it onto my scalp, but it was so yucky feeling all day.  Also, it would get into my eyes. To avoid a burn and/or skin cancer, it's ok.  My mother had skin cancer, I've already had thyroid cancer, so I really don't want to take a chance.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~ Dr. Seuss~

wrussell3
on 7/27/13 8:15 am - NC

I have very thin hair but have used an SPF spray for hair for years until now because i can't find it.  It was made by banana boat and it was specifically made for your scalp.  Try looking for it.  It was wonderful!

JanBooth
on 7/27/13 9:06 am - KY
RNY on 09/25/12

Thanks!  I'll google it.  I didn't even know there was a product made for the scalp. 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 413 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 360 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 406 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 6 replies · 27 views
Recent Topics