Anyone ever have Intussusception? Need surgery?

ohiomomx2
on 7/29/13 2:02 am - West Chester, OH

If you have had Intussusception please let me know.  I have a triple intussusception that resolved (thankfully) on its own, however, my doc is still thinking I need to have surgery.  Since this is an extremely rare thing to happen to adults I'm scared of what it has done to my intestines and what having additional surgery will do.

If you have any advice, thoughts or comments please write!

Thanks,

Jen

Ohiomomx2
40 years old
6'3 (yep, I'm tall)
RNY 3/08
Starting weight 378
Current weight 198
Lowest weight 190
cajungirl
on 7/29/13 2:13 am, edited 7/29/13 4:08 am

Use the search function on OH there are several that have had surgery because of an intussusception., there are quite a few post about it.  Here are a few I've copied for you.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/rny/4315806/Question-about -Intussusception-Am-I-a-Ticking-Time-Bomb/ 

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/PA/4596153/Intussusception -Aspirin-and-Ulcers-Lessons-Learned/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4589775/Has-anyone-en countered-Intussusception/

Let's see if these work, if not then just typing in intussusception in the search bar you'll pull up a good number of post to view.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

ohiomomx2
on 7/29/13 2:18 am - West Chester, OH

When I click on the links it says Page Not Found.  I didn't realize I could search for key words....I'll give it a try!  Thank you!

Ohiomomx2
40 years old
6'3 (yep, I'm tall)
RNY 3/08
Starting weight 378
Current weight 198
Lowest weight 190
molly3613
on 7/29/13 2:30 am - TX
RNY on 01/24/13

When I click on the links it also says page not found.  I don't know what this is.  Checking further.

cajungirl
on 7/29/13 4:06 am

Have you been able to do a search?  I can't get the link to work either but when I search they are there and I can click on them.  Not sure why......I know I have to use HTML editor #2 at work or I can't post anything so it may be why these are not "live".

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

terilynn112
on 7/29/13 6:03 am - maryland, NY
I had a mild one, and two other friends had them. it's simple surgery, they just straighten out where it's tucking into itself, and suture it so it doesn't happen again.

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

ohiomomx2
on 7/29/13 10:06 am - West Chester, OH

I'm not sure what the surgeon is going to say tomorrow since my intussesception resolved on its own.  He just says that my intestines look "angry".  He even mentioned re-doing my anastomosis.  It's super scary to me right now. 

I did look in the search function and found a bunch of information.  It's amazing to me how many people have dealt with this!

If anyone has any suggestions or comments PLEASE feel free to share!!!  Thanks!

Ohiomomx2
40 years old
6'3 (yep, I'm tall)
RNY 3/08
Starting weight 378
Current weight 198
Lowest weight 190
sanscarpaci
on 9/17/13 2:25 pm - souderton, PA
DS on 11/23/12

Being that this answer is a few months out from your post, you may have already resolved your issue but I wanted to add my experience.

I had revision surgery in November 2012 (lap band to DS) and have had no issues since.  I have lost 90 lbs and my labs were good.  On September 6, 2013 I went to the ER with incredibly painful intestinal pain.  After tests and ruling out my gall bladder, they determined that it was an intussusception of my intestines/bowels.  

I had emergency surgery that same day and was in the hospital for 5 days.  It was open surgery and there was dead tissue there.  They removed about 35cm of my intestines.  They were able to readjust after the redaction of the dead tissue and believe that my DS will continue as planned.  This issue can happen to anyone.  My surgeon thinks that perhaps due to some scar tissue at the Y connection, this created an environment for the "telescoping" to occur.

I came home last week and have been recuperating.  I will be out of work for 6-8 weeks.  A scary time but I am back on track and healing.  I still believe the DS was worth every minute and continue to be an advocate.  I would rather undergo the surgery than constantly "wait" for an attack.  The pain is incredible!  Far beyond labor/childbirth in my opinion.

My surgeon shared that they see around a person a year with this issue.

Please let me know if you have any questions and best of luck!

Susan

228/123/120
preop/current/goal

Revision surgery from lapband to DS on 23-Nov-2012

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 444 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 408 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 276 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?