Finally, a "tell"

Karens62
on 7/30/13 12:00 am - NC
RNY on 02/26/13
Here I am, 5 months out and just this week my nose starts to run when my pouch is full. Because this started so long after surgery, it took me a few days to figure out what was going on. What other signs do people have?

HW - 319, SW - 303.5 

poet_kelly
on 7/30/13 12:07 am - OH

I know many people say their noses run when they are full.  I don't understand why that would be.  I don't get the connection between the pouch and the nose.

When I'm full, I feel full.  Like, I don't feel hungry anymore, and if I eat a bite or two more, my stomach feels uncomfortable.  It feels kind of distended and if I eat another bite or two, it hurts a bit.  I also start to feel nauseous.  It doesn't really feel much different than feeling full felt before I had RNY.  It just happens much sooner!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Sarahakers11
on 7/30/13 2:54 am - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with

According to my PA it has to do with the pouch expanding and hitting the vegas (sp?) nerve.  it depends on your anatomy and how close your pouch is to yours etc. etc.   You know what they say what happens to the vegas stays in the nose...No wait!

HW - 297  start of Pre-op - 290.2   SW- 279.2   GW - 145    

The Depressed Hiker Blog

A middle aged over the hump and over what "I'm suppose to do" woman, with the wild spirit and a nasty case of depression and anxiety!

Laura in Texas
on 7/30/13 12:51 am

Some people hiccup or sneeze as their full signals.

I read it's related to the vagus nerve.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

LilyBugsMommy
on 7/30/13 1:17 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

I just get this feeling in the back of my throat. When I get that feeling and look at the bite on my fork, I know I am done because I feel like if I take that last bite, I will get sick. But, it isn't like I have stuffed myself or anything like that. I measure my food, so, I know I am not eating too much and it can be after I have eaten different amounts of food, like, maybe only half of what I "should" be able to eat. I just go with it and it seems to work for me kiss

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

surfmind
on 7/30/13 2:34 am
My nose runs and I sneeze like crazy. .lol
Mary Catherine
on 7/30/13 4:11 am
They usually sever the vagus nerve during surgery. That eliminates hunger for many of us and also gives that signals of fullness.
Losingitall01
on 7/30/13 4:44 am

My nose runs, too, when I get full, but I try to notice the feeling before that. I wasn't sure why it happened, but glad it does.

Angie_K
on 7/30/13 5:09 am - VA
RNY on 05/22/13
I get the running nose, but usually not when I'm eating. It's usually several hours after I've eaten. My feeling of fullness comes most of the time when I already have that "last" bite in my mouth and I have to spit it out or else. Or I just look at the plate and something tells me NO! I measure my food too and while I'm supposed to aim for 1/2 c at a time, mostly I'm lucky if I can get in 1/2-2/3 of that 1/2c.

pastorkerry
on 7/30/13 6:13 am - GA
RNY on 12/20/12
Great post! My nose runs sometimes. Most of the time I have learned that another bite will send me to the bathroom to throw up. No consistency to it. I have eaten Wendy's chili many times since surgery. I normally can eat a small order no problem. Last weekend I ate three bites of it and got sick. Part of life after RNY.
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 342 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 380 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 473 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 390 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 3 replies · 15 views
Recent Topics