Re: capsules for medication after having Gastric (laproscopic) By-pass since June 12, 2008

Lynda H.
on 8/3/13 10:07 am

i can't remember reading in my manual about NOT taking pills in capsule form after having the gastric bypass June 12, 2008.

I would love to hear from others that had the gastric bypass (laproscopic with 6 pin holes)

Thank-you so much

SWL patient,

Lynda

kinny09
on 8/3/13 10:09 am - New York, NY
RNY on 06/11/13

You mean gel capsules? They are fine as far as I have been told...I take tylenol for stiff joints every now and then and I always take the gel capsules (as OK'ed by my surgeon and NUT).

HW: 306         Day of Surgery: 299         Current Weight: 172

poet_kelly
on 8/3/13 10:27 am - OH

There is no reason RNY folks can't take capsules.  Most capsules are made from gelatin (yes, like Jello) and dissolve easily in a warm, wet environment like your pouch and small intestine.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Ladyintheloop
on 8/3/13 10:31 am - TX
RNY on 07/08/13

I crushed pills for the first 3 weeks and then got brave enough to start swallowing them whole.  I haven't had any problems and I take a few at a time. 

Lynda H.
on 8/3/13 1:06 pm

I take my verapamil for my cluster headaches, and I take 1 other medication for my pain and they're capsules, I think they are gel capsules. i am not sure. Thanks for responding.

Ladyintheloop
on 8/3/13 1:08 pm - TX
RNY on 07/08/13

I was given a pill to prevent gallbladder stones and it's a gelcap.  So is my Vitamin D.  I don't have any problems with either gelcaps or pressed pills.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/3/13 1:21 pm - OH

As the others have said, capsules are fine.

I cannot tell from your post exactly what you meant, but I just wanted to make sure that you know that there isn't any difference in what happens post-op regardless of whether someone had their RNY via laparoscopic surgery or open surgery.  It is all the same internally.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Katie K.
on 8/3/13 8:14 pm - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13
I was taking whole capsules in the hospital as soon as they let me start drinking. I was concerned about being able to absorb my Cymbalta since it's not immediate release, but I've had no problems. They go down easily, too.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 459 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 408 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 276 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 299 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 122 views
Recent Topics