Finding a Bariatric Nutritionist

tdbull
on 8/6/13 2:20 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
I am a self pay having revision surgery in Mexico. How would I go about finding a nutritionist that understands bariatric diets and supplements necessary to keep me healthy post surgery? My PCP will handle all of my labs but really need someone to help me with diet and vitamin regimen.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

poet_kelly
on 8/6/13 9:50 pm - OH

Look for a registered dietician, not a nutritionist.  A RD has  college degree in nutrition and is licensed by the state, while a nutritionist does not have to have a degree (some might but it's not required) and they are not regulated in any way.

You can look for registered dieticians on the website of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: http://www.eatright.org/iframe/findrd.aspx

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

tdbull
on 8/7/13 4:16 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
Thanks, Poet Kelly, You are so knowledgeable, and my fill doctor was Dr. Kelly, and I sometimes just want to call YOU Dr. Kelly. I sure have learned a lot on this forum, especially from all the vets and you. I really do appreciate your input. I know we all must ask the same questions over and over again, but it is so comforting to know you are all so non-judgmental and helpful!

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 342 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 380 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 473 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 390 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 4 replies · 19 views
Recent Topics