13 weeks out need advice

Kristenselfs
on 8/7/13 8:25 am - PA
It's been a rough time since May 7th, the day of my surgery. Everything went well till I entered the soft stage, 5 weeks after surgery. I ate pork I had cooked in spaghetti sauce, do not get nausea, just a great deal of pain, which in asking my Dr is normal, last about 6 hrs. Blacked out twice about a month ago, got a heart monitor and a week ago Sunday, got a call at 11 at night, here my heart stopped 8 seconds, long story short ended up with a pacemaker, been in the hospital 3 times. Now I am sooo depressed and regretting surgery, which I know had nothing to do with my RYN. Nothing for weeks seems to satisfy me. Not that I don't get full, I do, but been so weak for so long, don't feel like cooking, husband such a bland cook, but such a dear, taking such good care of me. I am out of ideas for feed, eat yogurt, protein shakes, chicken, PB and crackers, but I think it is head hunger and though surgery good, just so much has happened I am regretfully, though I have lost 55lbs. I don't like not eating rice, pasta, bread. Just a little, but don't want to try for fear of getting a night of pain, had the pain e posited about 7 times, and my Dr is a strict one, no lettuce,broccoli,cauliflower, cabbage, pork and steak, go back in Sept, maybe then who knows, I haven't done anything all summer, been weak, tired from eventually was due to my heart. Has anyone ever felt this way, I did this for Heath, and I know maybe it would of been worse if I didn't, but I am so let down. I was on a high, till all the three times in the hospital, my hubby having to cook, it's only been a week sine my pacemaker. Any advice would be sooo appreciated, use to love coffee, now I don't. It's just hard and I know it's not always easy for all of u, I guess it's all to much at one time. Alice from Pgh
April M.
on 8/7/13 9:54 am - Clarksville, TN
RNY on 03/11/13

First of all, congrats on your weight loss. Hope you are feeling better soon.  Sounds like you are mourning food. Also sounds like head hunger to me. I can definitely see the dreaded "buyers remorse" rearing its head too. Lots of WLS patients have this feeling.  You are not alone.  Sticking to your program is the way to go.  The restrictions that the Docs give us are because even though you may feel like you are healed from surgery, your body is still learning how to live with the changes.  I would suggest support group meetings if you aren't already attending them.  I also think maybe consulting your Nutritionist for help would be a good idea. As for the reaction to the pork, it sounds like dumping to me. Pork is higher in fat and our bodies don't do well with fats, especially at this stage. Make sure you are getting as much protein as you can and getting your fluids and vitamins in. Protein is what your new tummy is designed to work on. If you aren't getting enough, you will feel run down. I speak from experience here. If you aren't doing great with eating your protein, then drink it in the form of shakes. Have you found one you like? I like Chike protein. They even have a coffee flavored one.  They are easy to mix and taste great. They sell a sample pack so you can try all the flavors without committing to a big tub.  Nectar by Syntrax is also delicious and has a sampler pack.  Best wishes to you on your continuing journey.  I hope I have helped.

Hollie313
on 8/7/13 9:35 pm - MI
RNY on 05/09/12

Ok, so I might sound harsh, but I'm not meaning to be.  Often we don't "feel" like doing alot of things.  However, with this new lifestyle comes change that must embrace and even seek out.  I say get over "not feeling like cooking".  There are some amazing websites with all sorts of different bariatric friendly recipes like bariatric foodie and eggface.  Be daring and try new things.  Turn cooking from a chore into a hobby.  That's what I had to do.  It sounds like you're bored with your food.  Do you eat cottage cheese?  Do you like lasagna?  (bariatric foodie has an amazing noodle-less lasagna)  Take some time to sit down at your computer and spend a few hours pouring over the internet for new and interesting recipes.

I hope I helped.  ((hugs))  It's not an easy journey, but it sure is well worth it!

Surgery: 5/9/12              HW: 302           SW:  287.6        CW:  158

Kristenselfs
on 8/8/13 3:37 am - PA
Thank u both and u are sooooo right, I am bored with food and née new recipes, before surgryI loved cooking, I just need to fin more recipes that are healthy and friendly to bariactric patient. I have been through a lot with three hospital stays, but this too shall pass, it's good to know others go through the buyers remorse at times, it took me three months to have that feeling, I do need to start cooking like a hoppy, I always loved it, and in the end of this losing weight journey, I want to keep it off and stay healthy, it is a drastic step to have the surgery, and I didn't go into it fast, it took me 6 months of classes, support groups and almost 11 months. Any recipes would be appreciated, we should start a recipe club on OH. Thank u sooo much.
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 532 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 514 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 393 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 228 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 328 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?