6 month weight loss trial?

KristenRB82
on 8/8/13 4:49 am
I know this might technically need to go under "insurance" forum-wise, but I thought if ask you guys first!

So I start seeing my nutritionist on Tuesday. Can anyone tell me what to expect? I've tried losing weight all my life (literally, my first diet was at age 6) and I'm worried that I won't be able to lose a sufficient amount to prove to the ins company that I'm serious.

Any help on this would be awesome. I don't have a lot of people I can talk to about my decision on RNY, so many are against it. The only people who truly know are my boyfriend, sister and my dad.
ChristinAngel
on 8/8/13 5:17 am - MA
RNY on 09/04/13

I didnt have to lose any weight. I actually gained 8lbs. I am on steroids for asthma which makes me gain and my NUT understood that. I'm approved and scheduled for 9/4. If you talk to your NUT find out how important it is to him/her that the weight is lost. After all, if losing weight was easy none of us would be here...

KristenRB82
on 8/8/13 5:20 am
Thanks and congrats on the date! How exciting!

I feel a little better now, you are right. If losing weight were easy, Dr. supervised or not, I wouldn't be in this situation to begin with. I'm nervous and excited!
CPA_Loser
on 8/8/13 5:23 am - WA
My insurance also requires the 6 months of NUT supervised diet. I really think if you try to stick to your NUTs plan, the number of pounds you lose shouldn't matter. For me personally, I am going to take the 6 months to get my head as right as possible and my bad habits in check. I am more focused on that than pure weight loss numbers. I do hope to lose a good amount in the coming 6 months though just to improve my overall results and weightless outcome.

Just don't stress Congrats in starting this journey, I'm pretty much exactly where you are.
KristenRB82
on 8/8/13 6:05 am
Thanks so much! It so great knowing there are others out there that are going through the same thing.

I truly don't mind the six months AT ALL! Anything that will set me up for success is welcomed. I know that with proper planning I will do this, and what's another 6 months anyway? I've been overweight/obese my whole life so I'll just take these next months to get all my ducks in a row and mentally prepare myself.

Good luck with your journey!!!
BWB
on 8/8/13 5:35 am

CPA- You are right.  The 6 month transition is to your benefit.  It is all part of the program so it doesn't matter that you have had to wait.  It took me 4 1/2 months to get all my medical tests finished.  As a diabetic I was already somewhat used to the low carb diet but I had to develop better control, especially on eating out and portion control.  I was able to stop all caffeine and carbonated beverages and rarely miss them at all now.  

Take the time to practice some new recipes and freeze some pureed dinners and drink you quota so you will be ready for post op.  The time will go quickly. 

KristenRB82
on 8/8/13 6:16 am
So true. I know it will all be to my benefit, and honestly I could use all the help I can get. So I'm actually looking forward to it. And you're right, the time will pass anyway, might as well be learning proper nutrition

But with that being said, i'm just a tad bit nervous. What if I complete the trial and I am still denied? I can't help but think things like that :/
purpleswingline
on 8/8/13 6:19 am - Fayetteville, AR
RNY on 08/26/13

What insurance do you have?  That makes a difference right there.  I had Medicare and they required 6 month supervised diet as well as loosing 5% of your weight.  Along with a number of testing that has to be done.  I hope it all works out just great for you!

KristenRB82
on 8/8/13 6:26 am
I have United Healthcare Choice Plus. At first when I called they told me on several occasions that the only thing I needed was a 40+ BMI (mine is a 50) and 21 years of age (lol, I've got that covered by 10 years!) but the coordinator from my surgeons office called me and told me that now I need the six month weight loss trial AND 5 years of documented BMI over 40.

I'll have a hard time supplying that, but im still pressing forward with my fingers crossed.
And thank! Good luck to you on your journey as well
CPA_Loser
on 8/8/13 6:58 am - WA
I only need 2 years of proof and I will struggle to provide that. Hopefully there is a way to show it...

I wouldn't necessarily trust the coordinator. Perhaps call your insurance again and verify this stuff is required or even ask them for the actual documentation from your plan. Mine has a very long document that outlines literally everything. I already caught my surgeons office on something they told me and turns out my insurance requirements were different than they thought...
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 481 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 441 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 443 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 394 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 110 views
Forum Search Error & 404