I had my Gastric Bypass

smilesandcurves
on 8/11/13 1:32 pm - TX
RNY on 08/08/13 with
Well, I had my surgery on August 8, at 11am.

I stayed two nights and have been home since yesterday. I have to say I am surprised at how this doesn't hurt as badly as I expected. Sure, it stings and hurts a bit when I go from laying down to standing, but just sitting still it is not bad. I'm still taking my liquid pain meds, but I am ok.

Big deal for me was when my hubby cooked homemade burritos topped with cheddar cheese and I could smell it, but it did not make my tummy grumble. Today again while my family was eating, I did not get hungry from the smells.

I'm so excited about this, can't wait for the weight to start flying off.

Good luck to all of you with pending surgeries.

Dancing my way to better health,

Tara

tdbull
on 8/11/13 1:47 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
So glad to hear you're doing so well. Congrats!!

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

osubuxfan
on 8/11/13 2:09 pm - Rome, GA

Congratulations on your surgery and for your relatively uneventful recovery!!  So glad you're able to tolerate the food smells without hunger; I have to admit just reading about the homemade burritos made my stomach grumble.  Wishing you well as you continue to recover!

nycaela
on 8/11/13 2:38 pm
RNY on 08/08/13
Congrats!!! We are surgery twins. My surgery was at 8am on the 8th.
I'm feeling just about the same as you. When I'm laying around or sitting the pain isn't so bad. But once I try to get up I have some mild pain.
My family had lasagna today and I was like it smells good but I'm not hungry for it. While I was staying in the hospital I watched Food Paradise and Man vs. Food and had no hunger pangs for anything.
Wishing you a speedy recovery!!!
BelieveInFaith
on 8/12/13 12:26 am - NJ
RNY on 08/08/13

I had surgery the same day but at 7 a.m.

That's great you are having minimal pain.  It's funny, when my bf brought me home he said he wanted to order a cheesesteak.  I looked at him and said, "REALLY?!?!"  If I had the energy I could've choked him, lol.  But by the time he got back I was already passed out from my meds so I never smelled it...THANK GOODNESS!

Congrats on your surgery!!!!

Never accept NO for an answer.

smilesandcurves
on 8/12/13 11:56 am - TX
RNY on 08/08/13 with

Haha there was one moment of total insensitivity when hubby (who is an injured vet but is capable of cooking himself dinner its just something I usually do as I know he hates it) the night before my surgery when I was all tired and weak from not eating much asked me to cook as he did not know how to cook the fajita steak dinner. OMFG, talk about the patience of Job. I said honey, it is really cruel to make me cook considering I cant eat. So my son said, I will. I said thank you!!!!

Thank you all for your kind comments. I am pretty amazed at how little the cuts are across my tummy. I wish I could get all this gas out so I don't feel so distended or bloated.  Today I don't feel as bad as yesterday, but my nausea is still there and I had to switch from zofran (bad headaches) to pheragan (sp). I can tell when the pain meds wear off now as it makes it painful to cough and harder to use my spirometer. Seriously though, I am amazed at this and wondering why I didn't do it sooner.

Again, when I smell foods that I used to salivate over getting heated up, I do not have hunger pangs from the smell. Typically, once I smell something good, it activates my hunger. I feel like magic, like a spell has been  lifted as that damn hunger has been the bane of my existence and waistline. Now, I haven't made any decaf coffee as I love coffee and the smell of it makes me hungry. So.. I am waiting until my nausea weans a bit before I experiment.

Dancing my way to better health,

Tara

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 523 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 407 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 263 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?