Damn blood sugars!! I hate being diabetic...or whatever the doctor is calling it now! ...

JanBooth
on 8/11/13 8:31 pm - KY
RNY on 09/25/12

I was taken off of all blood sugar meds, am no longer "diabetic", as I have an occasional high fasting blood sugar.  Until just recently.  I'm guessing I probably do need to be on something...maybe Metformin?  I'm not sure.  What I do know is that my sugars are wacko!
Most mornings, I'm running around 90's to low 100's.  But, occasionally, I've had them in the 120's and higher 130's.  No real rhyme nor reason for the highs?  I try to monitor carbs and really see no connection? 
This morning, I woke up in the wee hours with the thought that my sugar was low.  I've had nearly no carbs all day.  Had I not checked it, I would have just eaten something to bring it up.  But, I wanted to see how low it was...having symptoms that I usually have with it running low...it was 150!  So, instead of eating, I had some flavored water, hot green tea and tried to go back to sleep.  I tossed, turned, tossed, and turned until I had to get something to eat.  I had true hunger.  So, now I'm trying to get back to sleep for a few hours, after having some cottage cheese and a slice of turkey. 
I'm now hot, nauseous, and probably higher than I was when I woke up.    Oh my. 
Later this morning, I'm doing a  "shadow", with a potential employer, for a few hours, to see if I like the facility and if they like me.  Of all nights to miss sleep! 
But, WTH with my sugars?  I've had it drop low after too many carbs, but high with nearly no carbs all day? 

Janet

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~ Dr. Seuss~

PetHairMagnet
on 8/11/13 10:33 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

I would schedule a visit with your endocrinologist, not your surgeon, and have them help you navigate this. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

karin602
on 8/11/13 10:53 pm - MD
RNY on 07/30/13

Question for you - how long after your surgery were you able to be off your meds?  I am still on mine but at lower doses but its only been less than 2 weeks.

Karin

Denise B.
on 8/11/13 11:10 pm - Binghamton, NY

Once a diabetic, always a diabetic.  Yes, you will be "under control" and that will not always be the case.  For your sugars running around 90-100 is wonderful.  Then the occasional 120-130 what did you eat the night before?  So being off the meds is a great thing.

I was looking at a insulin pump before my surgery and that was the reason for it.  Things were "under control" for 3 years, then slowly the numbers went up.  I started the morning 120-130 and my doctor wanted it lower, 90-110.  Now with that said, I am now on 10 units of Humilin-N before bedtime and this are where he wants the morning readings.

I wish you luck with you adventure.

Get a dream, make it yours, and let no one steal it!
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Highest weight 285, day of surgery 265, current weight 209, and holding steady.

JanBooth
on 8/12/13 12:01 am - KY
RNY on 09/25/12

I know that once I'm diabetic, I'll always be.  My PCP just made a big to do about taking that diagnosis off of my chart and giving me another diagnosis related to my occasional high fasting blood sugar. 
I was taken off of all but one med, immediately after surgery.  That one, I continued until just a few months ago.  I was doing fine with my sugars, until I started adding an occasional carb.  Not much, just small amounts of brown rice, whole grain tortilla, sweet potato, or some other whole grain item.  Only small portions, usually 1/4 or 1/2 slice or few tablespoons.  It was then that the 120-130 readings came into the picture.  Both my PCP and surgeon said that it would just take some time to adjust.  It did.  Now, I am finding the higher numbers are a bit more often.  No real change in diet when it occurs. 
This morning, I was 98.   
I'll keep checking and notify my doctor if it gets higher. 
Thank you for your info.  It's good to be off meds, but if I need them...so be it.  I want to be healthy! 

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~ Dr. Seuss~

Katie K.
on 8/12/13 1:41 am - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13

You could be going low during the night and your liver could be overcompensating for it. Or, you could have dawn phenomenon, which is no low during the night but increasing blood sugar in the morning. If it's a low, you should have a protein snack before bed to help keep your sugars level throughout the night. Definitely see your doctor, though.

Laccygurl
on 8/12/13 5:12 am - Paso Robles, CA
Befor my surgury I was takeing 9med all from high blood sugars to high BP, to high chrostrol, I am now only takeing lantis as needed. My sugars range from 87-115 fasting and no higher than 120 at night. If it is higher I can take up to 8-10 u. But in last two weeks have not used it at all.. If it is in lower range at night I have a small proten snack. Love not haveing to take all thoes meds. I was able to go off all but the one two weeks post op. Good luck on your journey

Laurie
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 364 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 287 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 388 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 480 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 400 views