What can you tell me about Trazodone please???

DebsGiz
on 8/12/13 10:24 am - FL

During a visit with my PCP doctor today, I mentioned that I was still having trouble with intermittent insomnia, so she prescribed Trazodone 100 mg tablets.

When I read the accompanying literature, I was more than a little shocked that she would prescribe an antidepressant for me as I am nowhere near depressed.  I'm merely having trouble staying asleep (rather frequently).

I did read some reviews where patients talked about their own troubles with insomnia and how Trazodone was a Godsend for them. so now I'm not sure whether this is a good drug of choice for me or not.

I would love some feedback from those who either know of this drug or, better yet, have used it.

Thanking you in advance for your time and efforts with a response.

DEB

poet_kelly
on 8/12/13 10:25 am - OH

It's often used in small doses for insomnia.  In large doses, it is an antidepressant, but it's not often prescribed that way anymore because it makes people so tired in large doses.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

DebsGiz
on 8/12/13 10:43 am - FL

Thanks Kelly!  You are always (always) so reassuring and knowledgeable about this sort of thing.   

Thank you for taking your time to respond to my concerns.  

poet_kelly
on 8/12/13 10:55 am - OH

You're welcome.  I've taken Trazadone before.  You might wanna take just half the first night.   And/or take it for the first time when you don't have to get up early for anything important.  the first time I took 50 mg I felt so dopey and hung over the next day.  After a week or so, though, I was able to increase it to 100 mg and at one point was on up to 400 mg for sleep - it's something you may build up some tolerance to over time.  but the first time you take it, it will likely knock you out.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

DebsGiz
on 8/12/13 11:47 am - FL

I'll do as you suggested and just take 1/2 of one tonight and see how it goes.  Have to say I'm sooooo looking forward to a solid nights sleep.  It's be too long...

Thanks again Kelly!!

cajungirl
on 8/12/13 10:29 am, edited 8/12/13 5:26 pm
Deb I have no personal experience but my sister's PCP prescribed this to her for insomnia also. She said it works great and it's help with her anxiety which she attributed to the insomnia.

She took Ambien at one time and found she preferred the Trazodone.

I also have insomnia problems. I also have dealt with anxiety since my hysterectomy. I take a half of my Ativan about 3 days a week at night and I sleep. I can't take it during the day as prescribed it knocks my out.

I want to add when my ferritin drops I have more problems sleeping and have restless leg syndrome. How is your ferritin?

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

DebsGiz
on 8/12/13 10:40 am - FL

Thank you for you response as it is, very seriously, so much appreciated.  

Not sure what my ferritin level is  right now, but in the past it has been in the normal range.  My doctor did order a full blood workup today, so if anything is lacking hopefully the blood work will reflect it.

Again, thank you for taking the time to respond.

DEB

ebtiger24
on 8/12/13 10:30 am - AL
RNY on 12/13/12 with

I've taken it in the past. It works pretty well. Better than Ambien. 

Justcallmesuz
on 8/12/13 10:48 am
RNY on 05/08/13

My 17 yo is on a small dose for insomnia.

HW~278

CW~131

GW~160

(deactivated member)
on 8/12/13 11:15 am
RNY on 08/13/13

I've been taking Trazodone for about a year now for insomnia. I agree with the initial dopiness but that was gone after a couple of days. I love the peaceful, calm sleep it gives me and no side effects.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 566 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 351 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 32 replies · 178 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 457 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 371 views
Recent Topics