Help please! Is this something I should go to the ER for?

Amanda M.
on 8/14/13 11:52 am
RNY on 01/18/13

I am posting first because I live an hour away from the ER, I have a special needs child, and a husband who has to work in the early morning. I ate supper and about an hour after I got this sharp stabbing pain in my stomach area (literal stomach). I figured maybe there was a bite that was too big. I have never had that happen before so I don't know what it feels like. It is not a horrible pain in my mid-upper abdomen. It feels almost exactly like a gall bladder attack, but dead center instead of to the right. And I had my gall bladder removed two years ago. 

My supper was chicken breast baked with a mayo and parmesan cheese crust. I haven't had any reactions to food before and didn't have much mayo on mine, so I don't know if it is a reaction to the mayo or the fat in in the mayo? Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

ebtiger24
on 8/14/13 11:58 am - AL
RNY on 12/13/12 with

When I chew something poorly it hurts just below my sternum.  Is that what you're feeling?

Amanda M.
on 8/14/13 12:00 pm
RNY on 01/18/13
It is right below my sternum. I didnt think that I chewed too little or took too big of bites. I havent yet and am almost 7 months out. I guess it might be me getting more comfortable with eating. How long did the pain last for you? Was it really intense?

ebtiger24
on 8/14/13 12:02 pm - AL
RNY on 12/13/12 with

About 20 minutes or so unless I throw up and then it gets better faster. 

Amanda M.
on 8/14/13 12:10 pm
RNY on 01/18/13
It has been about an hour, maybe closer to 90 minutes. I am going to wait another hour and if it doesnt get better I am going to go to the ER. Thanks for the feedback.

ebtiger24
on 8/14/13 12:24 pm - AL
RNY on 12/13/12 with

Not a bad idea if it has been hurting that long. 

Amanda M.
on 8/14/13 11:58 am
RNY on 01/18/13
Should mention that a few months ago I had surgery for a D&C and endometrial ablation. I got a period a few days ago. I dont know if the pain could somehow be related to that, but it seems to high up.

sarah_durso
on 8/14/13 12:42 pm

Sounds like you just ate something and didn't chew it to well .  I'd sleep on it. If you still feel bad in the morning call the surgeon. Maybe drink some water .   But could be a stricture .

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/14/13 12:47 pm - OH

Chicken is notorious for causing problem if it is not chewed really well.  I had not thrown up a single time until I was 18 months post-op and I ate some chicken that was just a little too dry and was in a hurry, so I didn't chew it all the way to watery mush, and it hurt like crazy and then I knew it was coming up.  I would give it a while.  Even if something is stuck it isn't a medical emergency.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Amanda M.
on 8/14/13 2:52 pm
RNY on 01/18/13
The sharp pains stopped. I took my nightly medication and within 5 minutes I started to feel a burning in my throat. I figured I had a pill stuck, even though they are extremely small. So I mixed up some diet hot chocolate to help and ended up vomiting within a few minutes of the first drink. Before vomiting my stomach was gurgling insanely loud, like water was running tbrough a pipe. Could this be related to my pains before or am I just having a really rough night? I do plan on calling my doctor in the morning.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 425 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 404 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 258 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 296 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 113 views
Recent Topics