Bone loss and generic Fosamax

SandieMc49
on 8/16/13 2:11 am

I just got notification that my bone density scan showed significant bone loss in my hips.  My PCP asked if I'd agree to taking the generic form of Fosamax.  I looked on line and I couldn't find much verifiable information on the impact of that medication for RNYers, long term.  

The potential side effects on the GI system kind of concern me.  A GI doctor I had seen previously several years ago is booking in November.  I was quite shocked to get the news as I am a faithful exerciser - my routine includes hard surface aerobics, Zumba, weights and floor work.

I believe the real experts on the subject are those of you on this forum who have experience with this issue.  I look forward to your feedback and thank you so much for responding.

Sandie

cajungirl
on 8/16/13 6:15 am

Sandie wish I could help.  I'm waiting patiently (no really impatiently) for my density results.  The tech eluded to me and my doctor devising a plan, ugh.  My last one was in 12/10 at which time they said my bones looked like an 18 year old.  My family history on both sides include osteoporosis, add in RNY calcium malabsorption, petite white female and the tech said statically I have lots against me not ending up with osteo. 

How is your Vitamin D and PTH?  Mine was great a year ago, also waiting for these numbers too.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

poet_kelly
on 8/16/13 10:47 am - OH

How much calcium citrate do you take a day and what's your vitamin D level?  Many RNY folks have low vitamin D, which leads to bone loss.  According to the Linus Pauling Institute, we need our vitamin D level to be at least 80 to help prevent this.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 473 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 425 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 333 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?