Headache & backache?

Amazingsweets
on 8/21/13 12:39 am - NC
RNY on 08/14/13
So I am 7 days post-op and I have a headache and backache. Is it ok for me to take children's chewable Tylenol? I am off pain meds and don't want to take them bc I'm having to drive.
Also, did I see somewhere on here that we can't take ibuprofen any longer after surgery?
Thanks for any help!!
Amanda

HW: 263 CW: 249 SW:....GW:150 height: 5'3" surgery date: 8/14/13

JenniPenny
on 8/21/13 12:55 am - MN

I was told Tylenol is ok after surgery, but be careful as it does effect the liver and it's working overtime once we start losing anyway. My surgeon allows Ibuprofen after surgery - not for a few months when we're all healed but he does allow it. He insists we take it on a full stomach, for short periods of time and he prefers gel caps as they're easier on our pouch. I've been taking Advil when needed for over 10 yrs now as a post op and have had no problems. I know many posties who also take it. Check with your doc and see what he/she says. For most of us Ibuprofen is ok in moderation - if you have an ulcer or have ever had one the restrictions are a bit more.

Jen 11+ yrs post op RNY

poet_kelly
on 8/21/13 1:18 am - OH

The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery recommends avoiding NSAIDS, including ibuprofen, after RNY due to the risk of ulcers.  Didn't your surgeon discuss that with you?

Tylenol is fine.  I guess children's chewable Tylenol would be all right, if you prefer that.  Is there some reason you don't want to just take adult Tylenol?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Amazingsweets
on 8/21/13 1:22 am - NC
RNY on 08/14/13
My surgeon didn't say anything about ibuprofen but I had seen it on here. Thanks for the replies!

Amazingsweets
on 8/21/13 1:24 am - NC
RNY on 08/14/13
I am worried about taking pills right now bc I am newly post op so I was going with the chewable ones I give my daughter.mi had a hiatal hernia that was fixed during surgery as well and I have some discomfort in that area already and don't want pills to get stuck.

Katie K.
on 8/21/13 5:20 am - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13

I was taking pills (tablets and whole capsules) in the hospital. If you're concerned about the size of a tablet, cut it in half and swallow them one at a time.

chris_ruff
on 8/21/13 1:56 am
RNY on 04/07/09 with

i used adult liquid tylenol without incident. if you're really concerned, call your surgeon.

--Christina
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 292 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views