Very Low Vitamin D?

CPA_Loser
on 8/16/13 7:42 am - WA

So I am pre-op and just really a few weeks into all the pre-op appointments. I had my blood work and THANKFULLY I don't have anything really glaringly wrong except slightly high cholesterol and insulin.

BUT I had very low Vitamin D levels at 7. I am an accountant and admittedly I did not get to see the sun very much this whole last year...so I guess it makes sense. Working too much!

Anyway, my question is - should I start taking a supplement to get that level up? And if so, anyone have any suggestions as to how much and how often? My doctor hasn't yet gone over the results really...

THANKS!!

poet_kelly
on 8/16/13 8:08 am - OH

I would definitely be taking a supplement!  Below 80, you're at increased risk for stuff like osteoporosis, heart disease and some types of cancer.  7 is dangerously low.

I would probably take 50,000 IU D3 (not D2) once a week, since you are pre op.  I would do that for a couple months, then get it checked again.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

CPA_Loser
on 8/16/13 8:36 am - WA

Thanks sooooooo much!! I appreciate the advice. I am so new to all this vitamin stuff but I hope to be a pro like you soon :)

poet_kelly
on 8/16/13 8:37 am - OH

Check out these links if you want to learn lots of good stuff about vitamin D. 

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vitamins/vitaminD/

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

CPA_Loser
on 8/16/13 8:45 am, edited 8/16/13 9:29 am - WA

Wow, ok this is kinda bad! I hope that it hasn't been this low for a long time!

Thanks again for your help :)

65rosesmom
on 8/16/13 9:23 am

Definitely get a supplement going now....it will be so much easier on you post op if you can get this under control now!!!   Mine was always low before surgery, but it totally tanked post.  I wish I would have known better to really up my intake before....being in the sun doesn't seem to help mine at all.

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

Jilly Bean
on 8/16/13 12:30 pm - IN
RNY on 07/09/12

I had really low Vit D at 6 months post-op.  I was told to take 5000 IU per day.  

Surgery weight:  232 lbs. / Goal: 145 lbs. Height:  5'5"     Fat? Ain't nobody got time for that.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/16/13 1:23 pm - OH

Definitely try to get your D levels up now because it will be a lot harder to do post-op!  I also had a VERY low Vitamin D level pre-op.  Mine was 9, but my surgeon didn't bother to tell me about it until I was in the hospital after my surgery! I messed around for almost a year just bumping up my Vit D by 1000 or 2000 units a day, which was only getting it up a little bit (went to like 18 and then 34), so I finally gave up on the doctor's suggestions and starting taking the 50,000 unit pill once a week and finally got it up above 80 three months later.

With it that low, I would take a MINIMUM of 5000 units a day.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

PetHairMagnet
on 8/17/13 3:05 am
RNY on 05/13/13

And I will add to all this, you can take a wet D now, but will have to use a dry D post-op. If it were me, I would just find the dry D and go for it now. Like Lora, I had low D prior to my surgery and I now take 10K a day of the dry D and find out next Friday what my levels are up to. Crossing fingers! :)

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

jabofa
on 8/17/13 5:41 am - PA
RNY on 09/24/13

I had the same issue.  They prescribed me 35000iu once a week.  I don't get out much so naturally absorbing the sun is out.  It is a quick fix and is helping me get used to all the pills I will have to take once I have the surgery.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 420 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 198 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
Recent Topics