Day 4 of pre-op liquids. Soooooo hungry

Maggie May
on 8/16/13 4:03 pm
RNY on 08/21/13

My surgery is next week. I am on day 4 of liquids and I am so very very hungry. Hungry as in, I looked out my window today and saw a walking ham bone. What I really saw was the UPS man. About a yard away, I saw some delicious bacon which was in fact a kid walking home from school. I have two kids under the age of 3 and feeding them is torture. Preparing food and smelling it, it's just maddening. Is there such a thing as TOO MUCH protein? I'm drinking several shakes a day,  According to the list from the doctor I should be getting 80-120grams a day and 600-800 calories. I think I was at the top of those numbers today. I dont think I went over but is there a danger to too much protein. Some of the protein drinks are just awful like the isopure I had yesterday that was just awful or the whey shots that come in the little tubes,, liquid chemical is what it tasted like. I look forward to not feeling hungry anymore because the burning in my stomach and nausea I feel from hunger is really just so hard. How did  you make it through the pre-op liquid diet?  4 more days!!!

Maggie May 

(deactivated member)
on 8/16/13 5:36 pm - CA
RNY on 03/22/12

Probably I shouldn't be sharing with you my trick for getting through, it might be considered a "cheat". In reality it was actually lower in calories, high enough in protein, and it saved my sanity. So, with that, here is what I did. Through the day, I drank my two slim fast shakes per my surgeons orders. The third one I was "supposed" to have to end my daily caloric intake,...? Well, I said, screw this and I ate an entire can of Weigh****cher's endorsed Progresso Chicken with stars or noodle soup. The warmth it provided, feeling as if I was eating something did the trick. I can't tell you how much I looked forward to that can of soup, which was actually less calories than another Slim Fast COLD shake. Any grocery store carries it, just make sure it has the WW for Weigh****chers emblem on it. It saved my sanity. Good luck, hang it there.

jaesueray
on 8/16/13 9:51 pm
RNY on 09/04/13

I have to do my pre op diet for 14 days, lucky you with the 8 days!

Its always amazing when i see the different pre op plans that doctors use.

My pre op plan allows a protein, and 1-2 cups of veggies or 2-3 cups raw salad greens with lite dressing  for dinner; and 1 protein shakes for breakfast and lunch. if i get hungry between meals i can have a sf jello or sf pudding or a protein bar with less than 150 calories.

Hang in there, you are half way there.

Can you call your nutritionist or doc and see if they have ideas for you? Let them know that this is making you nauseous.

Hope things go easier for you soon!

Jae

Maggie May
on 8/17/13 2:08 am
RNY on 08/21/13

Thanks for the encouragement. My surgeon does require 14 days UNLESS you can drop your BMI below 40, in that case you can do 1 week instead. I busted my butt to lose enough weight to do  1 week instead of two, LOL. I have a list of drinks/liquids but there is no food on the list,,nothing chewable other than a vitamin so it's pretty strict. Anyone who ever said this was an easy way to lose weight has no clue just how hard this really is. I didn't even notice the sugar free jello on the list until you posted this so I will be buying that today! There is no pudding however :(. I just keep repeating to myself today, 4 more days!

Maggie May 

VintageChick
on 8/16/13 10:44 pm
You can do it! My pre-op was 3-4 Carnation Instant Breakfast (sugar free) with skim milk daily, and sugar free jello, popscicles, and low-sodium broth for two weeks. Stick with it, and know it's the last time you'll have to diet without an added tool to assist you. Congratulations on only being a few days out from beginning a whole new healthier chapter in your life!

lap RNY 5-15-13

Maggie May
on 8/17/13 2:10 am
RNY on 08/21/13

I've been through quite a bit of broth so far and many many protein drinks. I look so forward to not being hungry. Thanks for the encouragement.

Maggie May 

PetHairMagnet
on 8/17/13 2:34 am
RNY on 05/13/13

I did it for 22 days and really don't understand all the catterwalling on the site about the liquid diet. For crying out loud, it is NOT that difficult! You really might want to consider some therapy to deal with your food issues because you'll be dealing with head hunger post-op and still feeding those children. And two kids under the age of three will eat whatever you put in front of them, so make things you do not care for. Because my liquid diet began 2 days before an extended business trip to SF,  I had to sit through 9 days of AMAZING lunches and dinners brought in or our going to fabulous, world class restaurants and having clear soup each and every time...but I did not care. I was focused on the success of my surgery, not what I could shove in my mouth. 

If you are hungry, drink a glass of warm chicken, vegetable or beef stock. Add some ginger or other spice to it. There is NO reason to be actually hungry on the liquid diet and if the issues are all in your head, then work on your head. Have iced coffee with sugar free caramel syrup or unsweetened iced tea with some lemonade Crystal Light or fresh lemon for a mock Arnold Palmer.

Not sure if you are trying to be funny or not, but if I was actually seeing human beings as giant foods, it would worry me enough to see some serious therapeutic treatment before I ever underwent surgery. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 538 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 275 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics