Hair Loss... at 2 Years Out! (Nik... Kelly... and other Vets)

chatterpam
on 8/21/13 11:44 pm - PA

Hi Folks - it has been a looong time since I've been here... grad school will do that!  I am having hair loss.  It's not as bad as it was at about 4 months out, but I am beginning to worry.  I remember reading here, quite a while ago, that it can be a vitamin deficiency.  Now, I haven't been very good about taking my vitamins, and haven't had labs in over a year (bad kitty), but I will be getting that done soon.  The problem is, that sometimes they will tell you all of your level are fine, but not fine for us.  I've learned more here on OH that I ever did from my doctor (sadly).  Is there a vitamin or mineral I might be lacking?  What thoughts do you have?  Thanks!  Pam

poet_kelly
on 8/22/13 12:32 am - OH

Likely culprits are low zinc, iron, B12 or vitamin A.  Make sure they check those and that you see the numbers.

Not getting enough protein can also cause hair loss.

Now, it could be other things, too.  Thyroid problems or other issues can cause hair loss, too.

Go get your labs done and start taking your vitamins.  Take them today!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

chatterpam
on 8/22/13 1:09 am - PA

Thanks for the response, Kelly.  My zinc is low, that's what the labs revealed last time.  I tried supplementing and got so constipated, you wouldn't even believe it (ok, maybe you would...LOL)  I was taking 3 stool softeners a day and still couldn't go.  I ending up getting hemorrhoids so bad from straining, I had to have them banded.  I get loads of protein, about 120-140 grams a day.  And my B-12 has been low too.  You are right... I need to start taking the vitamins again.  Why is it so damn hard... I do it for a while, and then I slack off.  Sigh...

poet_kelly
on 8/22/13 1:15 am - OH

Low zinc is probably the cause, then.  When you were supplementing, how much did you take?  Have you trained Miralax to help prevent constipation?  It's works pretty well for most people.  You definitely don't want hemorrhoids but you also do need to get your zinc up.

With B12, really hair loss is the least of your problems if it's low.  You can end up with permanent nerve damage in your hands and feet from low B12.  If it's hard to take a sublingual every day, think about doing shots.  You only need them once or twice a month in most cases.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

chatterpam
on 8/22/13 1:22 am - PA

I don't remember how much zinc I was taking.  What is good for us?  I was taking the B-12 shots for months, and my levels were still coming in at the 300 range, which is why I started doing the sublingual.  That got it up over 1000.  Yes, I did the Miralax and it didn't help.  Hell, milk of magnesia didn't even help... LOL...

poet_kelly
on 8/22/13 1:25 am - OH

How much zinc you need is however much it takes to keep your level in the "normal" range.  I take 50 mg twice a week.  I've been taking it for a couple years now and haven't noticed any constipation from it, fortunately.  You might try starting with a really small dose and increasing it gradually.  Did your doctor have any suggestions for preventing constipation?

chatterpam
on 8/22/13 1:32 am - PA

Yes, the told me to take Miralax and stool softeners... LOL... it is scary being that bound up.  I hadn't gone in 5 days, and I am a like-clock every dayer... maybe I was taking too much.  I am going to do what you suggested, start low.  Hair loss is a huge fear of mine, I even have dreams about waking up bald (I should say nightmares.)  But I don't ever want to be that constipated again, either.  Thanks again for your advice, I really appreciate it.  I seriously meant what I said about learning more from your guys on OH than from my doctor, or nut.

PetHairMagnet
on 8/22/13 3:23 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On August 22, 2013 at 8:32 AM Pacific Time, chatterpam wrote:

Yes, the told me to take Miralax and stool softeners... LOL... it is scary being that bound up.  I hadn't gone in 5 days, and I am a like-clock every dayer... maybe I was taking too much.  I am going to do what you suggested, start low.  Hair loss is a huge fear of mine, I even have dreams about waking up bald (I should say nightmares.)  But I don't ever want to be that constipated again, either.  Thanks again for your advice, I really appreciate it.  I seriously meant what I said about learning more from your guys on OH than from my doctor, or nut.

Amen to your last sentence!!!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

chatterpam
on 8/22/13 4:29 am - PA

I love your name!! I have 11 cats, and know all too well what it means to be a fur magnet!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/22/13 9:18 am - OH

Hormonal changes can also cause hair loss (and apparently that can happen before, during, and after menopause).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 459 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 427 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 276 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 299 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 122 views
Recent Topics