Day 9 - Need Vet and Newbie Experiences

tdbull
on 8/22/13 3:18 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
Most of you know I spent 7 days in hospital for my revision surgery. Had an IV for 5 of those days. Still treating infection at drain incision site at home. Here are my concerns.
I see ppl posting that they have lost 16lb, 10lb, etc. I don't dare even get on a scale because I think I have so much swelling that I can possibly be carrying around more weight than when I went into surgery.
I am just feeling that at Day 9 - I am much further behind on recover. I know I have lapband removal, revision to RNY, and gallbladder removal, but it is getting me down that I don't have energy other positive results from my surgery.

1) I can't trust my bowels. If never toot, there is always a little BM - is this forever? I am scared to leave my home and wear Depends constantly.
2) I have alot of swelling in my legs - twice their size at the calves, ankles and feet. Is this because of saline IV?
3) My tummy looks like I am 7 months pregnant. Is there swelling due to surgery here or should my tummy look normal now? It's not gas - see #1
4) Tummy makes tons of noises - is this forever? Kind of embarrassing cuz I know others can hear it.
5) I am walking, but maybe a half block at a time, I am still very tired.
6) I am on Phase 2 - full liquids - my day has been around 40-45 gr of protein and if I can count protein shakes also as liquids, then I think I am doing pretty well - it not, I need to up my fluids.
7) Cold drinks cramp me - does this mean I can't tolerate?

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

poet_kelly
on 8/22/13 3:44 am - OH

1.  The tooting thing will probably not be forever.  I don't know any RNY folks that have that problem forever.  It's common right after surgery, though.

2.  Call your doc about the swelling.  It might be normal but I don't know.

3.  Probably swelling due to surgery but again, ask your doc

4.  My tummy is less noisy now than it was right after surgery but it's still noisy sometimes.

5.  Being tired is normal.  You just had major surgery.

6.  I would count protein shakes as fluids.  They are liquid, right?

7.  If cold drinks cause discomfort, don't drink cold things.  That will probably go away in time.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

cajungirl
on 8/22/13 3:45 am
On August 22, 2013 at 10:18 AM Pacific Time, tdbull wrote:
Most of you know I spent 7 days in hospital for my revision surgery. Had an IV for 5 of those days. Still treating infection at drain incision site at home. Here are my concerns.
I see ppl posting that they have lost 16lb, 10lb, etc. I don't dare even get on a scale because I think I have so much swelling that I can possibly be carrying around more weight than when I went into surgery.
I am just feeling that at Day 9 - I am much further behind on recover. I know I have lapband removal, revision to RNY, and gallbladder removal, but it is getting me down that I don't have energy other positive results from my surgery.

1) I can't trust my bowels. If never toot, there is always a little BM - is this forever? I am scared to leave my home and wear Depends constantly.
2) I have alot of swelling in my legs - twice their size at the calves, ankles and feet. Is this because of saline IV?
3) My tummy looks like I am 7 months pregnant. Is there swelling due to surgery here or should my tummy look normal now? It's not gas - see #1
4) Tummy makes tons of noises - is this forever? Kind of embarrassing cuz I know others can hear it.
5) I am walking, but maybe a half block at a time, I am still very tired.
6) I am on Phase 2 - full liquids - my day has been around 40-45 gr of protein and if I can count protein shakes also as liquids, then I think I am doing pretty well - it not, I need to up my fluids.
7) Cold drinks cramp me - does this mean I can't tolerate?

1) This should settle down, liquids in liquids out.  As Don says never trust a fart (early out some deal with this, others don't).

2)  The swelling is probably from being pumped with so many fluids are you experiencing any pain or just swelling?

3)  Major surgery plus infection you need to try to be patient.

4)  Most of us have talking pouches (really it's the intestines making noises) and it gets better.  I've heard people say longer-term they never hear noises where others still do but less frequently.

5)  You are doing fine on walking.....if you can't walk for long get up multiple times a day and walk for 2 minutes, 3 minutes, 5 minutes at a time.

6)  The shakes count as liquids.  Don't stress about getting in an over abundance of protein grams that also comes in time. 

7)  I'd recommend trying room temperature or warm liquids.  Temperature does impact some people; I still prefer hot to room temperature most of the time.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Ashley in Belgium
on 8/22/13 4:58 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

I am 2 weeks out today from Lap Band to RNY revision with a 5 day hospital stay.  I've got to say that every day I have a bit more energy.  You've been through a lot - don't rush!  I had Gall Bladder surgery back in 1995 (Lap) and it really was the most horrifically painful recovery than all my surgeries combined.  This RNY revision is a walk in the park.  It seems perfectly normal to me that you are feeling a double whammy.  I also looked like I was 9 months pregnant after surgery -so not the look I was going for! - and the nurses said it was from the gas they pumped into me to aid the surgeon.  It has finally gone down, but it lasted a full 12 days for me!

Everyone loses at their own pace - you are already a lightweight so it's going to be slower perhaps than for others.  It will happen.  Don't get discouraged yet.  I think our bodies can't do it all - recover, heal and shrink all at once!  Its a process - we'll get there.

Oh and I would guess the swelling in your legs is from the IV fluid.  When I had my first son, I was on IV for 6 days and my legs looked like they belonged to an elephant!  Tree trunks was a kind way to describe them --that too will pass.  

Hang in there!  Ashley

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

PetHairMagnet
on 8/22/13 5:34 am
RNY on 05/13/13
Honey, you had it ROUGH!! Don't let the 'right now' discourage you! For sure call your surgeon on the swelling!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Cindy W.
on 8/22/13 8:34 am - Madison, CT

I am 3 weeks out from my revision and just starting to feel human!  My recovery may be a little easier because I had the eroded band removed 18 months ago and revised to RNY on July 31st...but surgery was really long.  As a result I was also so bloated with IV fluid and gas and a little out of it from anesthesia.  Hopefully you will feel a big boost of energy in the next few days!  HANG IN THERE!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/22/13 9:00 am - OH

Two of the other vets have already given pretty much the same answers I would have.  I am, however, a little concerned about the swelling in your legs.  A little bit of swelling because of the IV fluids might be expected, but calves, ankles, and feet that are twice their size is not just normal excess fluid.  Most people experience abdominal swelling, but, again, having a belly that is so large is also unusual. You should definitely make your surgeon aware of both of these.

The tummy noise will lessen, but many people find that their digestive system (it is the intestines making the noise, not the pouch) is permanently more noisy than before surgery.  My surgeon explained that the intestines are getting food that is unprocessed rather than the partially processed food it has been used to getting and that can cause the noises.  She also said (and my experience seems to support) that chewing well lessens the noises.

Even walking half a block is fine for rigth after surgery.  Even if you just walk in circles around the house or yard for 5-10 minutes every couple of hours, that will help.

Hang in there.  Things should be better in just a short time.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 539 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 413 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 277 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics