I don't like to eat

semitchell1972
on 8/22/13 3:25 am

It seems that since I had surgery in May, that nothing tastes the same any more. I some times even dread the thought of eating because there is no taste. Can someone give me some suggestions? 

angeleigh
on 8/22/13 4:14 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

I learned that food is for nutrition not enjoyment. I eat because I need to not because I want it. But with that being said you will find things that you like, just maybe not the same things that you liked before RNY I love making cauliflower mock mac n cheese http://pinterest.com/pin/70791025365208051/.  I have many more things that I love to make now. You can check out the board http://pinterest.com/slgreen46/gastric-bypass-stuff/

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

anniechanging
on 8/22/13 5:13 am

Hi,  You may not believe it, but there will come a time in the not-too-distant future that you will look back at this "problem" and wish you still were experiencing it.  At least that's how I feel.

For months after surgery, nothing tasted good. Some things were downright gross and unappealing.   I did not like to eat and, quite often dreaded meals.  My tastes changed, texture was an issue, some smells, and just generally, I did NOT want to eat.  I wasn't hungry and had no cravings.  Now that I'm 9 months post-op, that has all changed!!!  It's more difficult to stay on track because I get hungry, I get cravings and I do enjoy some foods (unfortunately, some "bad" foods).  I don't like this feeling!

You may want to experiment with some different flavourings, herbs and spices, and foods you haven't tried.  If there are foods that you currently don't like, don't despair.  Your tastes may change eventually.  Some foods I couldn't handle in the first 6 months post-op are now back in my diet, but some are still unappealing.  For example, I used to really like scrambled eggs, and now they gross me out.

Use this period of time to eat what you NEED to eat for health, and put the enjoyment factor on the back burner for now.  Food will be enjoyable again, and that's not necessarily a good thing for some of us!

take care.

PetHairMagnet
on 8/22/13 5:28 am, edited 8/22/13 12:24 pm
RNY on 05/13/13
On August 22, 2013 at 12:13 PM Pacific Time, anniechanging wrote:

Hi,  You may not believe it, but there will come a time in the not-too-distant future that you will look back at this "problem" and wish you still were experiencing it.  At least that's how I feel.

For months after surgery, nothing tasted good. Some things were downright gross and unappealing.   I did not like to eat and, quite often dreaded meals.  My tastes changed, texture was an issue, some smells, and just generally, I did NOT want to eat.  I wasn't hungry and had no cravings.  Now that I'm 9 months post-op, that has all changed!!!  It's more difficult to stay on track because I get hungry, I get cravings and I do enjoy some foods (unfortunately, some "bad" foods).  I don't like this feeling!

You may want to experiment with some different flavourings, herbs and spices, and foods you haven't tried.  If there are foods that you currently don't like, don't despair.  Your tastes may change eventually.  Some foods I couldn't handle in the first 6 months post-op are now back in my diet, but some are still unappealing.  For example, I used to really like scrambled eggs, and now they gross me out.

Use this period of time to eat what you NEED to eat for health, and put the enjoyment factor on the back burner for now.  Food will be enjoyable again, and that's not necessarily a good thing for some of us!

take care.

My husband agrees with this 100%! I have found some things I look forward to eating, but many days I am forcing myself to get it in my mouth because I know I need to eat even if I do not want to.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Elektra_Kat
on 8/22/13 8:12 am
RNY on 06/26/13

Interesting. I logged on to start a thread about how I am not eating, but I see one is already started!

My issue isn't that food tastes unappealing.... it's that the very thought of eating never enters my mind because I have as yet to experience hunger since surgery. I'm not saying that's a bad thing... it just *is*. So my first problem is that I forget to eat regularly.

My second problem is that when I have food, I just don't want to eat it. It's not that it tastes bad. It's not that it upsets my wee belly. I just have zero desire. I've eaten plenty of things when I wasn't really hungry. I've even eaten things when I wasn't hungry that didn't taste particularly great. This is not like that. I do not know how to explain it. The motivation to eat is simply not there. I do eat... just not a lot. At my one month appointment I was told to eat more and I have really tried, but I'm stuck. I'm stuck because I don't understand why I feel this way and that makes it super frustrating for me. I do manage to eat sometimes until I hiccup, which is my signal to stop if I haven't already emptied my dish.

My third problem (because of course this one hasn't really gone away) is fluids. Water hurts my belly. I have a post about it somewhere... I truly get cramped up when I drink. I found grape G2 to be the only thing I can tolerate. (And Premier Protein, but I'm supposed to be weaning off that.) Despite that, however, even if it has ice, when it starts to get warmer, I cramp right up again. It is perhaps the most upsetting thing about this surgery for me. I do not regret having it at all, but damn I wish I could drink.

So every week or so I go over the signs of dehydration, just to be sure. I do get thirsty and I am trying so hard to drink up. Fortunately, Premier Protein sits well, so I can get a bunch of protein in with some liquid.

My concerns are three-fold. One, if I don't get enough calories into me, my body is not going to want to release too much fat. Two, if I don't get enough protein, my muscles will go. Three, my APN said that in her practice the people who lose the most hair are the ones who eat the least amount of protein. I'm not a super vain person, but I am in a wedding in 2.5 weeks.

VintageChick
on 8/22/13 10:44 am

I miss my thirst-quenching gulps of water, too. A few sips and my pouch complains as well. I figured water would run right through but it seems to hit and then sit like a rock. I think it's getting a little better over the past week...hope it's not just wishful thinking!

lap RNY 5-15-13

VintageChick
on 8/22/13 10:41 am

Me, too. Surgery was mid-May and the only food I've had a real craving for is watermelon. Most foods I just want to spit out well before they're chewed to applesauce consistency. 

lap RNY 5-15-13

semitchell1972
on 8/22/13 1:04 pm

It is so nice to know that I am not the only one. I guess it will pass with time. Until then, I will keep forcing myself to eat. It is so hard sometimes. 

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 540 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 289 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics