Vitamin help :)

NurseBrandy
on 8/21/13 4:58 am

Surgery Date is getting closer :) Kelly or anyone that would like to help, could you please give me a complete list of vitamins that you take? Dosages and form ( tab or liquid). Thanks so much!

angeleigh
on 8/21/13 6:57 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

Everyone is a little different. Since your needs might be different then mine. But a good starting point is:

2 doses of a multi vitamin, taken 2 hours apart. I personally take Nature Made, in the 50 + with no iron.

1500-2000 MG of calcium Citrate. Taken 500mg at a time, 2 hours apart. I get mine from CVS, 2 tablets is one dose.

Iron, this one really depends on your needs. I take 120mg of Perfect iron by sundown naturals, with  500 mg of Vitamin C. This is taken 4 hours apart from any other meds.

B12, depending on what you need. Can be sublingual, can be monthly shot.

Dry Vitamin D3, 10,000 IU a day.

Biotin.

For me, i tend to take Multi, B12, Calcium dose, and Biotin all together in the morning sometimes around 11am, then 2 hours later another calcium dose. then 2 hours after that I take another mutli, and calcium dose.

At bed time I take my thyroid meds, and when I first get up I take my iron and vitamin C.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

NurseBrandy
on 8/21/13 9:28 am

Thank you :)

NurseBrandy
on 8/21/13 9:31 am

Shannon, Does your thyroid prevent you from sleeping? I tried taking mine at night, and had a hard time with it. Thinking about trying it again since we are not supposed to take them with Calcium.

angeleigh
on 8/21/13 9:37 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

I take it at bed time, since that is the easiest time for me to take it, since you dont want to take it with in 4 hours of other meds. and you dont want to take it with food. I just find that if I take it in the mornings I dont absorb it as well. I was taking it first thing in the morning and it doesnt seem to change my sleeping habits. But pre-op I was taking sleeping pills almost every night. Now I just take that about an hour before bed and drink lots of water.

Lisa O.
on 8/21/13 7:20 am - Snoqualmie, WA

Hi,

I haven't had RNY yet, but this is what my Nutritionist recommends:

As for the vitamin/mineral regimen after the "RYGB, you will need to take a multivitamin, calcium, sublingual B12, iron, Vit D and a Prilosec for 6 months.

I also recommend taking a priobiotic as a study showed 5% greater weight loss with patients who took one daily.

AM before work – 500 mg calcium, Vit D, probiotic

Lunch – multivitamin, iron, Prilosec

Home after work- 500 mg calcium

Bedtime – 500 mg calcium

OR

AM before work – multivitamin, Vit D, priobiotic, iron, Prilosec

Lunch – 500 mg calcium

Home after work – calcium

Bedtime – 500 mg calcium

Everyone is a little bit different, but I'm sure the pros on this forum with give you plenty of "real experience" recommendations.

Best, 

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

NurseBrandy
on 8/21/13 9:28 am

Thanks so much!

angeleigh
on 8/21/13 9:41 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

You need to take 2 doses of the multi vitamin. You arent going to get everything you need from one dose. Also a lot of people dont have a need to take Prilosec so that is one that is very dependent on what you need.

Also most people will take a B complex vitamin.

Lisa O.
on 8/21/13 9:52 am - Snoqualmie, WA
I think the Prilosec is recommended to prevent ulceration of the internal incisions but its just my surgeon's protocol.
poet_kelly
on 8/21/13 6:31 pm - OH

The ASMBS says you need two multivitamins.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 367 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 315 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 389 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 400 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 315 views