long term follow up care: surgeon or PCP?

65rosesmom
on 8/21/13 11:30 am

So now that I've completed my one year visit, I'm wondering at what point I should transfer my follow up to my PCP vs. my surgeon.   I spent 2 hours there today and it was a waste.  I know what I need to do nutrition wise, I've learned more here than I did from them.  The surgeon had no new information for me...it was a quickie visit.   I'm thinking its time to just transfer care to my PCP where I will get labs every few months and once I stabilize my iron and Vit D maybe do labs just once or twice a year.   

Those of you that are past one year post op, do you follow up with the original surgeon or have you transferred your follow up care?

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

illinois Gama D.
on 8/21/13 11:42 am

I did all my care with the PCP, The surgeon really didn't need to see me again, He is a cutter, My PCP and I are learning  together, I take lists to him, he is listening, we work together,Denise

Rny 2003

come join the new R&R 3.0, where the fun is:)

65rosesmom
on 8/21/13 12:48 pm

I wonder why my surgeon -- who is clearly also a cutter -- would even want to be in charge of the follow up

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012

illinois Gama D.
on 8/21/13 1:01 pm

Personally I think it is all about the almighty dollar. What else can they do for you? ya know what I mean?

Rny 2003

come join the new R&R 3.0, where the fun is:)

65rosesmom
on 8/21/13 1:42 pm

That's the most logical explanation.  I'm done.  Its a very expensive wasted visit.

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/21/13 11:46 am, edited 8/21/13 11:46 am - OH

I agree with Denise.  Although I had my surgeon do labs for the first three years, and I took copies to my PCP, it seemed to make more sense to have my PCP do the labwork (plus his office visits are less expensive).  That is what I have done for the last 3 years.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

65rosesmom
on 8/21/13 11:56 am

This is what I'm thinking makes sense too.  My PCP already gets all my results for the labs I take for the surgeon and I wind up double paying because I see her to discuss them as well.  Seems like the bariatric center really can't do anything more for me at this point.

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012

ebtiger24
on 8/21/13 12:25 pm - AL
RNY on 12/13/12 with

If I'm not mistaken many surgeons report results for WLS including resolved issues such as HBP or cholesterol. I always complete a survey when I go back. 

ToniLee
on 8/22/13 5:10 pm

Your primary Doctor is probably not going to order the same blood work as your surgeon.  Make sure you have them do the same tests.  I made the switch to primary after I moved.  I regret this in some ways, had I kept going to my surgeon I don't think I would have gained as much weight back like it did.  Had I been going to the surgeon he may have ordered tests a couple of years ago to check for mechanical issues in regards to my weight gain.  I procrastinated as I was embarrassed only to finally find out I had an issue and just had my intestines revised last month.

HW 271/SW 255 RNY Jan.21 08 RNY Revision July 25th 2013
Plastics done 4/21/10 (Dr. Sauceda)
Extended TT, Full Arm lift, BL/BA, Long Thigh lift

65rosesmom
on 8/22/13 10:13 pm

Thanks for the insight.  You make a good point.   I won't completely separate from my surgeon, but I'm not feeling like his care is helpful right now.   If things get off track I'll definitely get back to him.  As for labs, I'm not even sure my surgeon is doing them all....I'll print up the suggestions from those on this board and have my PCP order them.

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 518 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 400 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 257 views