Bone density test results...mixed feelings

Missy A.
on 8/23/13 1:41 pm - NC
RNY on 08/17/12

The results show that most of my bones are fine. However I have osteoporosis in my lower back and both hips. The results for the hips were -2.6 in the right hip and -2.4 in the left hip. Lower back results were -4.?. My understanding is his is pretty bad for a 39 yr old. Just confused why the rest of my bones show normal results while these do not? What makes some bones more stable than others? Any information and thoughts on this is greatly appreciated 

Missy

HW:348 Consult W:320 SW:295 Current W:156 GW:140

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/23/13 10:06 pm - OH

Some bones experience more stress form daily activities and some bones are much more dense to begin with (e.g, leg bones are more dense than arms or hips).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Hollyanimal
on 8/24/13 2:31 am - WI

Sorry about the bad news. Those are really bad results for someone your age.  At least you had the test done and are aware so you can make a plan of action.  Good luck to you.

cajungirl
on 8/24/13 9:40 am
Sorry you are dealing with this. I'm impatiently waiting for my results (should have them Monday).

Have you by any chance had a hysterectomy? Hormone issues? What is your PTH level and Vitamin D level.

This is my first bone density test since my hysterectomy and I come from a family that has dealt with osteoporosis on both sides. I hope mine are fine (they were in Dec 2010, I was late getting another). However, the tech that did my scan elluded to working with my PCP on a game plan.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Missy A.
on 8/24/13 1:40 pm - NC
RNY on 08/17/12

I did have a hysterectomy 10 yrs ago, at a very young age. Just had my hormone levels checked and my PCP said they were all within normal range. Getting my other levels checked in September, at 6 months my vitamin D level was 89, I believe. But don't quote me on that, I'll have to look it up to make sure, not sure about my PTH levels, either, I don't have osteoporosis in my family. I'm just really worried about these results :(

Missy

HW:348 Consult W:320 SW:295 Current W:156 GW:140

cajungirl
on 8/24/13 9:55 pm

i understand, it worries me too. Unfortunately, a hysterectomy and our new anatomy malabsorbing calcium adds a second layer to osteoporosis. Definitely discuss the results with your medical team. 

in 2010, bone density results were great. I've had some anxiety waiting for these results. There diffusing fervent meds and Reclass infusions that can be taken to help. The side affects of the Reclass are iffy in my opinion so you have to decide how best to proceed for yourself. I'll be looking at all my options if the comment made by the tech are what the results say. 

is this your first bone density scan?  

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 520 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 403 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?