3 days post op, pain with sipping. Normal?

Maggie May
on 8/24/13 1:43 pm
RNY on 08/21/13

I had surgery on Wednesday, went home on Thursday and have been in a fair amount of pain. Was given hydrocodone 7.5/375 liquid but after trying 7 different pharmacies, it's on backorder by the manufacturer? So my doc changed it to hydrocodone 7.5/500 upping the tylenol part and it's in a pill so I have to cru**** The prevacid I was prescribed in a dissolvable tablet is also unavailable so I have these large capsules of granules. All of this equals a mouthful of nasty which is especially hard when all I can manage to swallow is the tiniest of sips. When I sip, as soon as the liquid hits my stomach, it feels like I swallowed bricks and is painful and uncomfortable. I managed to get down about 20 grams of protein yesterday  mixed with water but am not doing nearly so well today as every sip is painful. I can feel the liquid hit the pouch and it's instant pain and nausea. It also feels like I need to belch but there's nothing there. 

I called the doc and spoke with a general surgeon on-call who didn't seem to think anything was wrong and said to go to the hospital if things get worse. 

The most upsetting thing in all of it is that I'm hungry. Really hungry. Churning, burning, hunger that I thought would be gone. 

Is any of this normal? 

Maggie May 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/24/13 2:05 pm - OH

Some people report pain from drinking when they are fresh out of surgery, but I didn't have even any discomfort with that, so I'm afraid I cannot offer any suggestions other than to just hang in there, try different temperatures of liquids, and do the best you can  to get your liquids in so you don't have to go to the ER because of dehydration.  I will say, though, that I have not heard many people here describe the pain when drinking as being as severe as you are describing.

I also did not feel hungry (I am 6 years out and still don't ever feel that kind of hunger), but I am wondering if it is not actual hunger but rather somehow tied to the pain you are experiencing when drinking.  I would call your surgeon on Monday morning.  There probably isn't any point in going to the ER since all they can do is determine that you aren't having a medical emergency, maybe give you a pain injection, and send you home after telling you to follow-up with your surgeon on Monday.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

ebtiger24
on 8/24/13 6:47 pm - AL
RNY on 12/13/12 with

Have you tried to drink something warm?  When I 1st got home cold water bothered me a little. You might want to try some SF hot chocolate and see if you tolerate it a little better. Also jello and sf popsicles count towards liquids too. Broth counts as well. Even my protein shake went down better than cold water.

In the next few days it will get better. 

Missella20
on 8/24/13 10:39 pm
RNY on 07/11/13

Yes I had pain when drinking still do some. It hurts in my chest like indigestion. I had a hiatal hernia repair also. Did you? It will get better. I am 6 weeks out and it is almost gone. Just keep sipping all the time and you will get in your water. I was told the first week don't even worry about protein just focus on 64 oz of water, crystal light, broth etc.... Keep your chin up.wink

HW 264    SW 234    CW 149    5'4" 

Dee.spunk
on 8/25/13 12:26 am - Sacramento, CA
I had pain because I was swallowing to much air. I ended up having to use a straw and with that, no more pain! Maybe you're taking gulps of air at the same time?

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

gentlyonward
on 8/25/13 12:47 am - St. John's, Canada
RNY on 08/17/13 with

I've found that my tummy doesn't like plain water, of any temperature. If you're still on clear liquids, maybe try some gatorade or something, or maybe as someone else suggested, something warm like decaf tea?

sonyamarie75
on 8/25/13 1:24 am - OH
RNY on 08/20/13 with

I had surgery too on Tuesday and have that. Its almost a spasmy heart burn type pain whenever I take a sip of anything. It also happens when I stretch out-- go from sitting to laying, etc, even roll over. I think its pretty normal. The surgeon didn't seem too excited about it. Most of the time its not that bad, just uncomfortable. I tried taking smaller sips, trying different liquids and it didn't seem to make a difference. 

In regards the hunger, I don't have belly hunger but I am having lots of head hunger and carb cravings. I didn't have carb cravings on the 2 week liquid diet so I am not sure where that is coming from. The only thing I can think of is that my blood sugar is so much lower now, maybe its my body's way of trying to adjust? (I'm off all of my diabetes meds! Woohoo!) anyways, I've just been trying to igore it. Are you allowed to have creamed soups? Trying something a little thicker might help a little bit. Good luck!

Sonya B, Toledo, Ohio- RNY  08/20/13  

MandyinTX
on 8/25/13 7:50 am

Sounds normal.. I had lots of pain when sipping as well.. I was one of the ones who did not get air when I drank with a straw but, if I did not drink with a straw I took in lots of air. You are probably still gasy, the more you move around the more it will come out. I know it is uncomfortable... but, it wont last long.

Surgery date: May 17, 2013  Surgery: Gastric Bypass   Doctor:Joya Location: Puerta Vallarta Mexico

Seeing myself in a picture changed my life, I finally said no more. What ever I have to do to make my dreams come true I will do it!! And little did I know that's when my journey would begin! And so here I go!! :)

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 544 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 527 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 326 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 129 views
Recent Topics