Feosol Carbonyl Iron - What are the rules

samsander
on 8/27/13 1:38 am - CA
I have been taking heme iron for years but was just given a Costco sized (300 tablets!) container of Feosol Carbonyl iron, 45mg. each.

Are there rules for this..... Like taking it with Vitamin C or not taking it with other things?

Appreciate any tips!!!

Mary SW 273  CW 158  GW 160

Member Services
on 8/27/13 1:52 am - Irvine, CA

Your best source for this information is your Doctor and or the Pharmacist.  Talk with them and they will give you the do's and don'ts.

poet_kelly
on 8/27/13 2:31 am - OH

Talking with your doc is always a good idea, but unfortunately, they don't always give good advice about vitamins.  For instance, I've had doctors tell me to take iron with four ounces of OJ and that would be enough vitamin C to help with absorption, which is not even close to enough.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

poet_kelly
on 8/27/13 2:30 am - OH

Take it at least two hours away from calcium.  A bunch of other stuff can interfere with iron absorption, too, like the tannins in tea, caffeine, and eggs, but calcium is the big one.

If you take it with vitamin C, that helps with absorption.  You need 200 mg C for every 30 mg iron, so that would be 300 mg C with each 45 mg pill.

Carbonyl iron is a great supplement for RNY folks because it's all elemental iron, absorped well without  much stomach acid, and usually does not cause constipation.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

samsander
on 8/27/13 2:50 am - CA
Thank you Kelly... Your reply is EXACTLY the information I was looking for.

Mary SW 273  CW 158  GW 160

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 407 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 415 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 403 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?