Yikes tomorrow is my surgery! Also weird question...

lostinaparkinglot
on 8/27/13 12:56 pm - Stockton, CA

So my surgery is tomorrow at 9:30am and I am so excited and sooo nervous. Now for the weird question...I get nauseated and vomit very easy and I wanted to know of anyone's experience of barfing with their new pouch. I'm scared to like rip a stitch or it will be crazy painful. Sorry I'm neurotic :P

alyssak1013
on 8/27/13 1:00 pm - CO

I haven't had my surgery yet, it is on the 12th :)  I met with my surgeon and hadn't even asked but she went over other peoples concerns with me and said it is extremely difficult to rip a stitch especially from coughing, vomitting, etc.  I'm not sure about it being painful, not that it ever feels good but I thought I would let you know what I heard about ripping stitches.  Good Luck!  Can't wait to hear all about it.

lostinaparkinglot
on 8/27/13 1:06 pm - Stockton, CA

Congrats on ur surgery date :)! Thank you that makes me feel better I'm super terrified of a leak but who isn't lol. 

Jen S.
on 8/27/13 1:26 pm, edited 8/27/13 1:30 pm

They loaded me up on anti-nausea meds while I was in the hospital. I never vomited or even came close thanks to the meds. Narcotics make me really sick so I was very worried about throwing up after surgery. Luckily that didn't happen. If you start to feel nauseated, tell your nurse, and he/she should be able to give you something for that.

Good luck tomorrow!

Maggie May
on 8/27/13 2:12 pm
RNY on 08/21/13

The anesthesiologists were fantastic about loading me up with anti-nausea meds too. I also get sick with narcotics and anesthesia and I warned them, more like begged them,,lol  They took care of me and I'm 5 days out and haven't puked. I'm at home with a prescription for phenergan just in case. :)

Maggie May 

surfmind
on 8/27/13 2:00 pm
I was nauseated for awhile. .zofran is great
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/27/13 3:06 pm, edited 8/27/13 11:05 pm - OH

Number one, your pouch will almost certainly be stapled, and chances are good that so will the stoma (although some surgeons stitch the stoma).  Unless it is violent vomiting, you won't rip staples out.  I have only vomited a handful of times in the six years since my RNY, and only once has it been at all forceful.  The other times it has been very simple without much force to it.  Because the pouch is right at the end of the esophagus, whatever you are throwing up doesn't have far to go so doesn't require strong contractions.  I don't know if it would be painful right after surgery since I was 18 months out before I threw up.

Just let the surgeon and anesthesiologist know that you had problems with nausea and vomiting, and they will be sure you get meds to address it.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

auntieudee
on 8/27/13 6:48 pm - AZ
RNY on 08/13/13

Just curious. Did you mean "painful" instead of "sinful". I imagine so, but had to make sure. :)

RNY completed on Aug. 13th, 2013

Life is good & getting better! 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/27/13 11:07 pm - OH

LOL.  Stupid autocorrect.  (I fixed it...)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

VintageChick
on 8/27/13 8:40 pm

I vomited a lot immediately following surgery.  I didn't pop a stitch or disrupt staples. My surgeon finally got enough meds in me to stop the nausea/vomiting. 

lap RNY 5-15-13

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 363 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 283 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 388 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 479 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 399 views