Reactive Hypoglycemia - How Do I Deal w/o Gaining?

chatterpam
on 8/28/13 8:20 am - PA

Hello my wonderful fellow WLS buddies!  Since my RNY I have developed reactive hypoglycemia.  I was not diabetic previously.  Sometimes I realize it might happen, because I get a little carb-zealous... but other times it hits me out of the blue.  My sugar level has gone from 125, just after eating, to 55 in 20 minutes.  So here's the deal... I have been eating about every 2 hours, which keeps it in check most of the time.  But now, I am seeing the scale creep.  I guess the cilla are growing back, and I have a much nicer appetite than I did in the first year.  My high weight was 252, my lowest weight was 151, and I am sitting at 157 right now.  I am scared to death of regaining.  I was wondering what others, who experience RHG, do to keep their blood sugar, and weight, in check?  Because I know that when I go low - sometimes I have to eat more than I had planned to get my sugar leveled.  And then, I am starving!  I could, like, suck the paint off the table leg... LOL... Any suggestions of what you are doing to keep things under control would be greatly appreciated.

Also - how, if at all, does STRESS impact your RHG?  I am under some extremely heavy stress right now.  Senior citizen + accelerated program grad school = serious STRESS.

poet_kelly
on 8/28/13 8:22 am - OH

I just eat small amounts every three hours or so.  I would try eating less at a time, since you'll be eating again soon.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

chatterpam
on 8/28/13 8:31 am - PA

When you eat your small meals, what do they look like? 

For breakfast I have a shake (Premier Protein), about 1-2 hours later I have a protein bar (Nugo GoSlim), about 2 hours later lunch (today was a tossed salad with about 3 oz of turkey), about 2 hours after that I had a peach and Kay's Naturals protein snacks, dinner will be a pizza on FlatOut bread with chicken, evening snack will probably be peanut (roasted in the shell) and probably a yogurt.  But then sometimes... I get these late night, I-ain't-sleeping-til-I-put-something-in-there, munchies... they make me crazy!

poet_kelly
on 8/28/13 8:34 am - OH

A protein shake or bar, some cheese, some yogurt, half a bagel with cream cheese (not often), a cup of soup or chili, a handful of nuts or roasted chickpeas, some raw veggies with hummus, half of a six-inch sub, a slice of pizza, occasionally just some fresh fruit but most of the time I try to include some protein with each meal/snack.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

chatterpam
on 8/28/13 8:37 am - PA

Ok - thanks... that gives me some other ideas...

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/28/13 9:37 am - OH

I have regular (rather than reactive) hypoglycemia, but like Kelly, I eat something every 2-3 hours.  I have discovered, by trial and error, that I don't need to eat much (i adtally oly need anout half of what I atarted out eating).  It does need to be a  combination of protein, carbs, and fat, though, for best rwuskts for me.  Cheese, Greek yogurt, and nuts are my "go-to" snacks.  Even just an ounce of cheese , a half serving of Greek yogurt, or half a serving of nuts is enough to keep my blood sugar up.  So is half a glass of 2% milk.  Then I eat a bit more at my three main meals.

Lora

(6 years out... Woo hoo!)

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

chatterpam
on 8/28/13 1:50 pm - PA

Hi Lora - thanks for sharing... I keep a little tupperware container with a serving of nuts, a protein bar, and glucose tabs with me all of the time.  When I do go low, it seems to take more to get the levels back up, than it does to keep them level.  Congrats on the 6 years! 

MyLady Heidi
on 8/29/13 4:10 am

I have RHG, sometimes it is extremely bad if I eat a plain carb without a protein mixed in.  I don't eat during the day, I wake up with bloodsugar at 80ish and I drink lemon iced tea during the day, I don't eat until dinner time.  I have lost weight recently due to stress but it never impacted my RHG, I just was eating less. 

The problem with all those small meals is they make you hungry and want to keep eating, that is counterproductive to keeping a stable blood sugar.  One nice balance dinner and I don't have spikes and crashes.  I eat a snack or two before bed, my normal weekly calorie total is 1000-1100 calories to stay at goal.  I eat more on the weekends because I am home with my boyfriend and we typically have breakfast.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 366 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 284 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 462 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 378 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 284 views